Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Headed up to Gogebic county this weekend for the 22 straight year!! Seems to be alot of good sign of deer this year. Just to be able to enjoy the great woods of the U.P. makes it worth it. Good luck everyone!!
Hello, this is SUPER random so I apologize in advance. My name is Brian, and I just bought a property in the U.P. (Ewen, MI, McMillan Township) that I need some photos of (property it sits on, a view of the inside (especially through the windows) etc.) I saw you'll be near Lake Gogebic pretty soon which is about 20 minutes from the property. I plan on building it out into a sportsman's cabin/AirBnb next summer or so. I would totally be willing to let you stay a weekend there for free when it is finished in return for you being able to send me some detailed photos if you find the time to stop by? Again I'm sorry that this is extremely random, but I live 6 hours away, and driving all that way just for some photos just seems dreadful lol. Thank you for your time, and no pressure at all. - Brian

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
on another note the loggers moved in last week and were sitting at my park spot and already started cutting, at least 2-3 spots will be messed up for guys in our camp, luckily i can go further down the road and hunt my sons spot since he isnt able to come up with college classes. Will see if my spot is cleared or not for a backup stand.
They have my section ready for cutting, I’m just glad they’re not doing it now.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yup cant wait to get back was up the 4-8th came home and will go back Thursday to 18th have few nice bucks on cam, not lot of deer in general but some young bucks, very few does again, 1 giant we had 1 pic of last year well he was back few times now unfortunately my son wasn't in stand yet he came thru at 1pm Saturday. Hopefully he shows his face when I'm back. View attachment 797776
View attachment 797775
View attachment 797774
View attachment 797773
View attachment 797772
Thats a monster! Good luck hope you get him.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm headed up to camp in the western UP but not until the 19th. I have no idea what the herd looks like just glad to be getting out of here and being up there. If we have no deer we'll get some beer.
C'mon now ...you will have some beer either way. Lolll
Good luck ...jealous of all you guys going to the yoop.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
The bad news is that I will surely be missing deer camp for the second year in a row. Before last year I had not missed an opener, Ever. Went down on a fast trip and cleaned up the camp a month ago and did the grocery shopping for the crew, though. Have to keep my hand in so to speak.

The good news is that I am aiming the pickup truck west toward Montana early tomorrow for five days of elk hunting. If successful it should be cold enough to bone out the meat, scoot back, and get a couple days of hunting while the meat is being cut up. Hoping that at least one guy is still at camp. Good luck guys. FM
I hunted the entire five days out west so drove straight home since I would not make it to camp with the crew. While in Montana I saw a couple bulls that got my heart pumping hard and fast but they were either on top of the mountain or just across a fence. Was within range of several decent bulls that got a pass (this time). In fact, of all the elk seen, up to 20 one day, not a single one was a cow or calf. The fewest bulls seen on any day was about 8 or 10.

So, still having the itch to hunt I started making plans this morning to go to camp right after Thanksgiving on Saturday and hunt the rest of season.....Then I opened my stack of mail and found out I have jury duty beginning December 1. With camp about 5 hours away I would be left with only two days of actual hunting time.

Maybe I will make it to UP deer camp next year. BTW, the four guys at camp took three bucks and six does. FM

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Sad night. Heading back to NW Ohio after an opening week in western up.

NormD sent it!
I'm with you Brother. Was up there for two weeks. Struck out both with archery and rifle. Had some great deer on cams but never showed up in daylight in front of me. Hunted for 55 hours in the first 5 days of the rifle season. No bucks I wanted to hang a tag on. All year old bucks. In fact the last big buck on camera was on Nov 14th at 1700. Nothing after that. Crazy how they pattern us better than we do them.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I scored opening day 11:30 am, had decent amount of bucks traveling during daylight , seemed to slow right down after day2 for my cams but are picking back up now very few does and fawns seem pretty concerning 2yrs in row. Had 1 giant on cam and daytime on nov. 6 at 1pm we decided to bird hunt since it was day 1 of our trip lol haven’t seen him since except night time pics. Heading back up after dinner thurs. with 2 of my boys.
Snow Deer Twig Plant Wood

Plant Natural environment Tree Natural landscape Carnivore

Deer Branch Elk Plant Organism

Plant Deer Tree Natural material Fawn

Plant Tree Fawn Carnivore Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well the trip to DA WUP was interesting this year. Got to camp (Ontonagon DMU 131 south end) and the generator was shot, ran to Houghton (wally world) to grab and invertor, back to camp, the invertor was not working (wires and accessories fell apart). :mad: So I just grabbed the old lantern and oil lamp - forgot how much electricity messes up a great evening of just sitting and watching the wood stove.😁

The next day had some repairs to make after setting/ baiting the blinds, so I had to get a generator $$$$. Took it back to camp - wouldn't run (was brand new). Ok this is getting to be an omen. Back to Ontonagon and returned the generator, which was an issue, but convinced them I'd get the bigger one - more $$$$$. But man that thing is push button start and runs for ever on only a bit of fuel. :)

Get the chores done and can now let the property just sit for a few days before season. Yep that means a pasty road-trip to Twin Lakes (Krups mini-mart) for a day and got to stop by a few area camps of guys I haven't run into for years - anticipation was elevated.

I hunted 15th - 20th and didn't see anything. I didn't even see a track until 18th. Not sure what has changed, but no tracks, rubs, or scrapes, even in areas which were always ripe with some activity. :unsure:

The Deer Hunters Round UP had down numbers as well, especially the two closes to me. Now there were a few places that had exceptional numbers and it seems like the size was much bigger on average than last season.

One guy had a 10pt with 20inch spread and was 260 on the scale. I was skeptical, but it was verified and 3 different places (yea he was making the rounds from tavern to tavern) and pics are out there. The day before he weighed a 8pt 190lbs.

Had to leave, in doing so, talked to a camp on the way out who normally have a full buck pole - nothing they were leaving early as there was no sign in their area either. Heck, I only head 3 shots the whole week and normally I hear that in an afternoon (especially on opening day)

Not sure what is changing in the southern end of DMU 131 near the Firesteal - but who cares I was in DA UP for 11 days and loved every moment.

Time to unload, clean up, and get a new plan together, and fast, I only have 354 days till I get to try again.

Stay safe and harness up

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Next season I’m heading to my western UP camp day after thanksgiving then into the muzzleloader season. Better weather and less hunters in the woods. C’mon 365!!!! Lol

NormD sent it!
Thinking the same way as you next year. Only difference is I may be up thru Thanksgiving till the end of November. Much later in my area and the heavy snows move in and the deer move out. I use to love hunting when the migration and rut coincided but these days with the decrease in quality and migration happening later than the rut typically, I stick to the first 7 days of the season. I think I'll be hunting the second week next year. Get me right up to the rut.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The Deer Hunters Round UP had down numbers as well, especially the two closes to me. Now there were a few places that had exceptional numbers and it seems like the size was much bigger on average than last season.

One guy had a 10pt with 20inch spread and was 260 on the scale. I was skeptical, but it was verified and 3 different places (yea he was making the rounds from tavern to tavern) and pics are out there. The day before he weighed a 8pt 190lbs.
We heard this on the radio as well....262# from a camp in the Porkies. Would love to see some pics. Three of us in Camp this year...all got bucks...thank goodness for single tag rules..LOL.

·
Registered
517 Posts
...I found a pic of the Beast on Rousseau Bar Facebook page....it's sitting in the back of a truck so it's not too impressive of a photo but i'm sure it's huge.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We hunted hard 15-20 Nov in Houghton County. Usually the hunting is good, but best when higher elevations hold over a foot of snow. Obviously, that wasn't the case this year, but we still had a great hunt with many deer seen on each sit, and sign was heavy everywhere on our property. Doe numbers were good and many had fawns, and 1.5 year old bucks were everywhere. We let 10-15 different bucks walk, and I'm pretty confident the neighbors did too. Lots of little guys chasing at all times of day. I connected on the afternoon of the 18th, between snow squalls, on the biggest buck I saw all week. It also happened to be the largest buck by rack and weight that I have taken on our property in the UP. For those that care, this picture was taken where and as he fell. He was tagged immediately following the picture.
Vertebrate Plant Branch Snow Twig

61 - 80 of 110 Posts