Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3-4" of slush on the lakes I fish here in Isabella County...how much have you been fishing in?

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Same around the edges here in Oakland and Livingston county. Have not had much of a problem yet out towards the center of the lakes I fish as of yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
3-4" of slush on wind shielded lakes in Kent County. I need some better bibs, my carharts get soaked and rock hard and don't get me started on trying to set a tip-up. :rant:
Cut the bottom off of a couple of five gallon buckets. Your tip-ups will sit across the buckets nice and none of your spool will be in the water, plus it helps a little to keep the hole from freezing up. When you get a flag you can either grab the tip-up and pass it through the bucket or just fight the fish with the bucket still over the hole.

Plus the bucket will slide nice over your gear bucket and your not really carrying that much extra gear in the way of buckets.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Oh, and yes I have about 3 inches of slush on the lakes around me in Oakland County as well.

I took my 6 y/o boy out with me to a little 30 acre or so lake last night. Poor little dude found a much deeper slush pocket on the lake after about an hour n half of being set up and lost his boot in it:sad:, slush sucked it off just like in mud.
We had a long walk back to the truck to begin with as this lake is about a half mile walk to get back to. I got all the stuff loaded up as FAST as I could....I had my man n half flip with all my gear in it plus I brought out the pop up that I straped to the top of that so we could both sit in a shanty together, it was HEAVY to pull!!! Poor little man didnt make it 100 yards before he said he couldnt walk any more, I sat him on the seat of the flip over and gave him my coat to at least keep him mentaly warmer and made the trek pulling him to boot....my legs were on fire but all I could think about was him having wet feet, so I wasnt complaining.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
I fished Long Lake (Kent county) this afternoon and encountered a foot of snow plus 4-6" slush depending on the location. Near the shore was slushy as well as near where people had drilled holes over the past few weeks. Areas that weren't recently fished still had a foot of snow but no slush.
Still had about 6-7" of good ice underneath all of the BS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
went out to Chippewa lake (Mecosta) today... took a long walk and got away from the slush around east bay and around the point.... caught some nice perch to

·
Registered
208 Posts
Went on Lake LeAnn all this weekend, slush was only from shoreline to 40ft out. Didn't have to many problems with it.

Guy came and shoveled all the snow away from this shanty and that somewhat flooded! Was kind of funny, i had my shanty just sitting on the snow!

·
Registered
162 Posts
We went out in Muskegon county yesterday. The ice was pretty good. Next to no snow, I guess it was blown off with all the wind. There was about 4 inches of ice then 4 inches of slush then 8 inches of ice. It sucked to drill through once you got into the slush but the fishing was good!

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
I fished an Oakland County lake today. Looked good at first but needed a pair of waders after the first 50 yds.
11" on the ice. 4" of snow and 7" of slush.
Fishing was slow and getting the minnows down the hole became a challenge with the 3" of standing water.
Will definitely be interesting once the top crust freezes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went back out last yesterday after the wind died down and after we had that bit of a warm spell...not much change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.