Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now it is time to find out who would, or would not sign a petition to ban motorized decoys in the state of Michigan.

Several states have done this already, California, Arkansas, Minnesota, I believe there may be a few others.....I think we should follow suit and bring duck hunting back to an art instead of a who has more money to buy more motorized decoy thing!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've hunted with them and some days they work like magic and other days I think they hurt the hunting.

I don't have money to buy myself a fleet though, so I wouldn't be too hurt if they got banned, but I'm not going to drive door to door in support of the ban either.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would sign it!Your right FOWLER,it`s time to bring back the art of duck hunting.

I admit I do use one.But it broke this year and I don`t think I`ll replace it.It`s to much of a pain any more,make sure it`s charged ,making sure youhave the wings,etc. I know I can just stop using one and still keep it legal,but I think the motorized thing`s have gotten out of hand IMO.That`s my $.02

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would NOT sign it for sure. This means all motorized decoys and not just spinning wing decoys. I think it opens up a can of worms for big brother to get his hand in my beloved sport. No all the way.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
gotduksikness said:
I would NOT sign it for sure. This means all motorized decoys and not just spinning wing decoys. I think it opens up a can of worms for big brother to get his hand in my beloved sport. No all the way.
lol, big brother?

I would be for a ban on motorized spinners in state game areas. But if it was a statewide/motorized ban....nope. I think the dry fielders/private land should have the right to use them. Just can't stand goin out to flooded fields at state game areas to see people setup backwards and having 4 spinners in their spread...its laughable sometimes. All it does is educate birds IMO.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Who would sign the petition to ban motorized decoys???

Now it is time to find out who would, or would not sign a petition to ban motorized decoys in the state of Michigan.

Several states have done this already, California, Arkansas, Minnesota, I believe there may be a few others.....I think we should follow suit and bring duck hunting back to an art instead of a who has more money to buy more motorized decoy thing!
Give me a break- MONEY?????? they are about 65 bucks. We spend more than that on pop and chips. If you don't like them, then don't use them. But if you are too cheap to buy one, please don't complain because I'm using one.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
think i'm gonna put on my flame retardant suit to view this thread over the next couple days. This is gonna be a doozy.
:chicken: :lol:

I wouldn't sign it.I don't care one way or the other,but don't really think we need MORE rules.
They have their pluses and minuses,I'd just like to leave it alone.My .02.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dont want to see them banned but if they do, I agree with The Kid. I think think that they shouldnt be allowed in the managed areas. After awhile, it has to be pretty obvious to the ducks to avoid the areas with the spinners going constantly. Thats just about every spot in the managed areas. It wouldnt take me very long to realize that I get shot at every time I go near one. It just makes them more wary than they already are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No I would not sign one. I have one. I think some days they work and some days they do not work. I do not thnk we need any more rules.:sad:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can honestly say that weather or not they are an asset to duck and goose hunters is a variable. I do agree that it is a pain in the arse that they are so delicate and always need charging. I definitely wouldn't advocate banning them. Some days they suck right into the robo, some days they flair from the robo, I think that having robo ducks in my arsenal of waterfowl killing bag of tricks makes it more of an art form -- it makes it harder sometimes so it's one more thing a hunter needs to figure out and expirement with.

I had an experience where I sank two robos a week before the end of the season one year and didn't want to replace them untill next year. That last week of duck hunting was awesome, I watched guys next to me with three to four robo's flair ducks and I got to shoot them.

The next year I hunted in a dry cornfield and had ducks circling my spread about 100 to 150 yards out that just wouldn't commit and I pulled a robo out of my finisher blind, set it up, quacked once and the ducks came directly to it and we shot some. I'm not lieing --- this is a true story.

My point being is that I killed about 200 ducks/geese last season on my own, and from my experience I can say that they are not the end-all waterfowl attracting device that some hunters might think they are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't own one...never have...and don't ever intend to. However, I wouldn't sign a petition to ban them.

Are we gonna ban layout boats next?
What about 10 guages?

And, people are catching way too many fish using Aqua Views. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let the people that think they are a must have, have them.
I personally don't use spinners but love them quiver magnets in the little potholes i like to hunt.
Ban Spinning wings sure, but not all motorized decoys.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
we use pigeon magnets over here, we put 2 pigeons on it and it spins round to bring in pigeons they are a reel pest over here and must kill all we can, there is 20 million here they breed 3 to 4 times a year we call them wood pigeons and we have coller doves they are pests as well.they both do lots of damage to crops.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
love them quiver magnets in the little potholes i like to hunt.
I remember when my buddy used about 4 quiver magnets every time he hunted Fish Point. His blind bag had a 20 pack of those radio shack batteries. Guy damn near went broke that season. :lol:

Kevlar

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
SWMIH20FOWLER said:
I think we should follow suit and bring duck hunting back to an art instead of a who has more money to buy more motorized decoy thing!
I wouldn't.

You want to get back to the art, why not give up neoprene, goretex, mud motors, fast grass, 20 foot johns, 3 1/2" shells, plastic decoys, blind heaters....and on and on.

No thanks leave it just the way it is for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why should they be banned? Isnt there a reason for limits, who cares if they give a unfair advantage to the hunter, I think that is the reason for them being banned in Ark. That is why we have a set limit, not to over kill ducks. If a mojo pulls them in and in closer there is probally a less chance of cripps. In all the advances of h20fowling why should we go backwards and eliminate progress? I agree with Goldy, whats next semiautos? Only single shots allowed? I don't own one, but hunt with buddies over one or two or none at times, but I like to have that advancement avialible if I so choose. Again, this is why we have limits, mojos just help us achieve those limits sooner with less cripples. I would never give in on signing this one!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ALL motorized, what about Mallard-Machine types that simply chrun the water?

Quiver Magnets?

Absolutely not.

If motorized spinners went away, it wouldn't affect me one bit... other than I'd no longer have the only set at Nayanquing without one.

But I DAMN sure would not vote for a ban :rant:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts