Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

would you favor a lottery draw for antlered deer

• Yes-would like to see a lottery that restricted buck kills

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • No-favor combo structure as is or not in favor of a lottery

Votes: 131 63.9%
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
So,if a guy take's one small buck a year he is "gourging" himself?:dizzy: Know what I can't figure-out,it's why you(and the rest of your QDM buddy's)think you have the right to force your veiw's on the rest of us.
I was just like you once, shot everything I saw, as long as it had bone, I owned it. But I always wondered about a certain couple of guys who always seemed to see twice as many bucks and always seemed to be getting hefty 8's and 10's every year. I talked to them and all they said was-"ya know, keep shooting them small bucks and you'll never see anything bigger than what you've been getting." So, know after a couple of years of this, I can easily see 15 different bucks throughout bow season. I am seeing the bigger 2.5 8 points and have good sign of bigger ones. My question to you is this, could you ever show the patience to let a small buck go?? Those guys never forced anything on me-I just pulled my head from my rear and understood that every small buck hangin in my garage would NEVER grow old. So, do you have what it takes to let a small one go??

Yep,passed-up MANY buck's over the year's.Both before and after i'd filled my first tag.Also passed buck's that I could have tagged with my 2tag (small 7's 8's)but,that don't give me,you or anyone else the right to tell other's THEY have to pass'em too.If hunting only mature buck's is what get's you into the outdoor's/get's the heart pumping then great,I wish you the best of luck.Manage your hunting land the way you see fit.But don't think you have the right to force your veiw's on other's.I really hope that,in your eye's,i'm a good hunter.I'd really like to be able to get to sleep tonight:rolleyes:

The old bucks are smart enough to stay around and there are more left than anyone thinks. This may change as they cannot now easily regain weight after the rut thanks to the ingenius baiting and feeding ban.
I am totally sure that without nitwits throwing down baitpiles,the exhausted deer are all going to expire during the long cold winter. If this were the case it would have happened a very, very, long time ago(way before you and your gramps dumped carrots and called it hunting). If hunting for meat is what you want? Than the earn a buck is for you!, If you desire venison,?Whatfaster easier way to fill the freezer than to harvest a doe. If you are man enough to extend your hunting season and hunt for the meat with a coat rack attached after your doe harvest than you deserve to do so,and you have done your part to control the deer population. It takes a man to harvest a doe for meat, cause in reality, who's impressed with your 4pt?:confused::)

Discussion starter · #64 ·
Yep,passed-up MANY buck's over the year's.Both before and after i'd filled my first tag.Also passed buck's that I could have tagged with my 2tag (small 7's 8's)but,that don't give me,you or anyone else the right to tell other's THEY have to pass'em too.If hunting only mature buck's is what get's you into the outdoor's/get's the heart pumping then great,I wish you the best of luck.Manage your hunting land the way you see fit.But don't think you have the right to force your veiw's on other's.I really hope that,in your eye's,i'm a good hunter.I'd really like to be able to get to sleep tonight:rolleyes:
Again, who is forcing anything on you?? The question was, would you give up the current system to go to a buck tag lottery. Pretty simple, if you have a problem with qdm, you might want to invest in some ear muffs, it's only a matter of time before that becomes the majority-regardless of what the DNR does.:lol:

Way to many hunters in this state for trophy deer to be running around everywhere. In my area which is all private the parcels keep getting split up and there are sometimes 3 hunters on a little 10 acres. I would rather shoot does than small bucks. I can only get 2 doe tags for area. My family consumes 3 deer a year. Filled my doe tags and I have yet to see a older buck so I might have to shoot a young buck because I want the meat. Give me more doe tags as It is common when the corn is off to see 20 to 30 antlerless deer a night. The pressure that is put on our deer herd has them running for there life for over 3 months. Shorten seasons and give the deer a break. What do all the so called big buck states have. Alot lower hunters than MI. Shorter gun season and most of there ml season is only a couple of days.

I think a earn a buck system or a no-spike law would be more benefitial. I dont get many oppurtunities at bucks over 1 1/2. Only a few times have i seen mature bucks. Ive only harested 1 3 1/2 yr old buck, but several mature does. I have passed on several spikes and 4s this year but wouldnt hesitate to shoot a decent 6 if I get the oppurtunity as I usually dont see many bigger then that hunting state land. If there was laws in place to create those deer i would love them to be put in place.

The plan of issuing buck tags might work for the slp but not the up or most of the nlp for the simple reason that if everyone who hunted up there had and filled a doe tag there would'nt be any deer left to hunt in a lot areas. a no spikes or an 8-pt or better rule would be better.
I know of more than a few people, who only saw 1-2 deer all season.
also there would be many people who would just plain quite hunting all togather.

The plan of issuing buck tags might work for the slp but not the up or most of the nlp for the simple reason that if everyone who hunted up there had and filled a doe tag there would'nt be any deer left to hunt in a lot areas. a no spikes or an 8-pt or better rule would be better.
I know of more than a few people, who only saw 1-2 deer all season.
also there would be many people who would just plain quite hunting all togather.
There is no excuse for not seeing deer in MI, I am sorry but they are everywhere. I hunt only public land, I saw 14 in crawford county yesterday, I saw over 20 in antrim county the first 2 days of rifle season. I hunted in scoolcraft last week and saw 25-30. People seem to think they can sit in any patch of woods and become a guage of the number of deer in any area.! hunt where the deer are you will see more I promise. The deer ARE NOT IN OPEN MAPLE FORESTS, OR ANYWHERE ELSE THAT MAKES THEM VISIBLE FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO SHOOT 300YDS. They are in thick cover, if you are not hunting in thick cover you have no idea of the amount of deer in your area. Get with it, this is not directed too much at KEN WES, it a general towards the people explosion. rant.:)

Again, who is forcing anything on you?? The question was, would you give up the current system to go to a buck tag lottery. Pretty simple, if you have a problem with qdm, you might want to invest in some ear muffs, it's only a matter of time before that becomes the majority-regardless of what the DNR does.:lol:
I really doubt that,but hey,if it help's ya sleep at night:lol::lol:

In my opinion, there is absolutely no chance of traction for any proposal that is 'big buck' or 'trophy' oriented. None.

A number of posts on this long thread have posed credible reasons why: too many deer in certain DMU's; too many hunters, period; or too many one-day-per year hunters; long tradition in Michigans' hunting culture; regulatory inertia, etc.

Now, to be sure, 'big bucks' can happen as there is no genetic bottleneck -- but only if it is a by-product of some other regulatory change that has at its' core the intention to better control or reduce the herd.

EAB or OBR or buck lottery all can have the incidental benefit of allowing more males to live longer and hence become a "big buck" but the real reason for EAB or OBR is that it re-directs the targetting of any male deer to the targetting of more female deer.

And of course, there has to be policy tweaking for geography, meaning, a EAB program or a buck lottery would work best in DMU's, or zones, or districts, that have recognized overpopulation issues. EAB in some underpopulated northern DMU or northern public access lands, where the possibility of killing too many females could occur could be calamitous to the local herd.

So, I would nix any regulatory change that was intended to increase a 'trophy' element to Michigans' hunting. But, I would strongly support change that restrained the harvest of males in order to re-direct hunting efforts towards the harvest of females (geography issues duly noted).

Then wouldn't it seem logical that the state needs to have a comprehensive makeover when it comes to it's management. How can other states do it and michigan can't? How many of those bucks you saw were 3.5 years or older?
Since you asked; I think the number one management priority in Michigan should be population density. You can't comprehensively manage the SLP, NLP, and UP by the same rules.
At least 4 of the twelve bucks I saw in the NLP this year were 3.5 year old or older. There was one button buck, three or four 1.5 year olds, and three or four 2.5 year olds. I would think that this is very nice age structure. Population density was probably in line with DNR goals. Doe numbers seemed to be very low. In a herd of these characteristics (12 bucks to 4 doe) I think it is best to take some bucks and leave the doe to reproduce.
Wouldn't you agree?
<----<<<

You can't comprehensively manage the SLP, NLP, and UP by the same rules......................Wouldn't you agree?
<----<<<
Absolutely Joe.

The biggest problem IMO isn't the DNR, but rather the willingness of deer hunters to accept change. This was made perfectly clear in the mid to late '60s when they tried split opening days (firearms) for the U.P. and L.P. Other things were tried, but the majority of hunters didn't accept them.

Absolutely Joe.

The biggest problem IMO isn't the DNR, but rather the willingness of deer hunters to accept change. This was made perfectly clear in the mid to late '60s when they tried split opening days (firearms) for the U.P. and L.P. Other things were tried, but the majority of hunters didn't accept them.
Agreed. Hunters are more afraid of what they might lose compared to what they might gain.

A good question would be who would support a lottery for a 2nd buck tag, possibly restricted by points, by county?
The second tag is restricted by at least 4 points on one side. How much more restriction do you want? If you want to hunt for that P&Y buck, they are out there, you just have to find them. Actually go out and hunt for them, they are not going to come to you.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.