Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Never had a youth:((

Votes: 2 7.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opening day of archery season has come and gone. How many gave their sons and daughters, niece, nephew or the kid down the street to hunt the opener?

Lets hear the stories!

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
Due to the wind direction and trees bending over I took my 3 year old for a walk and later I put up a pop up blind and even went out to buy some carrots and corn so when we go out next time hopefully he will see some deer close up.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
my son is only 11 so he is hunting with a video camera this year. i let him sit in my #2 stand last night & i sat in my #1 stand i saw 4 does and 2 fawns(one still had a red coat and was covered with spots) & he saw a doe & a fawn, a 7pt.,and an 8 pt. i asked him if he wanted to trade spots tonight and he said "yeah right". oh well he had a blast and i got to see them on video ( even though it was shaking alot) they were about 80-100 yards away from the stand. take a kid hunting they are our future.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Haven't been out myself yet, so my answer may not really count. However, both my boys will be with me this weekend when we start our season. I never have to hunt alone, one of them is always with me. Ages 15 and 19. This is really the best part of my hunting now. Watching them make all the same mistakes I made and helping them learn from it. Even better are the successes they've had already.

Nothin better than takin your kid huntin!!

·
Super Moderator
11,733 Posts
Howdy-

Couldn't. Once again, work interferes with fun....:(

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not really a fair poll. I didn't take one out with me simply because I didn't have one around to take. I did go back home and get my daughter (she's 26) for a tracking lesson and she gutted my deer for me. Does that count? :cool:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I got out w/ my uncle, and killed a nice 5 pt on sun evening :D. That is my second deer, both are 5's.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gotta say taking a kid out hunting before the traditional season begins is another step toward "Babying" our kids. I was once a kid and I waited just like everyone else. What a sad tradition, and believe me, no kid will EVER hunt my land prior to the start of regular season, nor would I ever lower myself to taking some kid out early. Its needs to stop now!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting and welcome to the site matinc.

This is the "regular season."

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
matinc - first welcome to the site - lots in of great info and people here -

Second - I'm a little confused :confused: about a couple of things - if I want to take my son out on our farm (during the youth hunt times) - how am i 'babying' - him? and just what have I 'lowered' myself to?

thanks

ferg....

·
Registered
685 Posts
WOW I must be lower than a snakes belly from all the babysitting I've done the last 2 years.

I'll post a pic of last years youth hunt when I get home.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The youth hunt was 2 of the best days I have ever spent in the woods. My son and I had a ball! matinc, too bad that you do not support the future hunters. I am sure there are many gun hunters who feel you are babied by being allowed to hunt 45 days before them. What about the "poor" muzzle loaders that have to wait until December? It is all perspective, isn't it?

Sounds to me like the "babies" are those adults who resent a few youths having a crack at "their" deer before them!

Dan

·
Registered
685 Posts
How low can you go. Check out these spoiled brats.

Left to right:

A sister and brother living with their grandparents who don't hunt cause Mom and StepDad are to busy popping pills and drinking.

1 who loves the woods as much as I do.

1 who's dad would rather spend time with his buddies than his son who has numerous medical problems. His Mom doesn't hunt but does everything she can to make sure he can.

Wish I had never taken em out on the youth hunt now cause they gotta learn the hard way. NOT

·
Registered
499 Posts
I never mentioned not supporting taking a kid hunting. Thats fine and dandy. However if you mean to tell that a kid can not wait 5 days for the regular season to begin or they will not become a hunter is total BS. Give me a break. Frankly its more about the DNR finding another way to reduce the deer populations to all time new lows. Yeah I still stand by my "Baby" comment, cause thats all the youth hunt is. Most guys dont want to tell you want they really think about the youth hunt. When I turned 12 and I went bowhunting, even though I went with my dad, that last thing I would ever wanted to do was sit with my dad. That was what the first 12 years were for. Its called maturation. Sorry, the truth hurts.

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I turned 12 and I went bowhunting, even though I went with my dad, that last thing I would ever wanted to do was sit with my dad
If you weren't sitting with your dad you were breaking the law.

Hunters under age 17, when afield, must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or someone 17 or older designated by their parent or guardian. "Accompanied by" requires the adult to maintain unaided visual and verbal contact with the youngster

1 - 19 of 19 Posts