Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Be careful with the pliers - my buddies bust off more hooks trying to retrieve from the fish, than the fish break out in the water.......

I tie my own as many have said: 4 of each pattern, save what you can at the end of the day (several fish beat up the line) and force feed them your hardwork :)

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
To look at a working harness, you will notice the beads are the primary color. The blade is for vibration and flash, and a little color. Something to keeping mind when tying your own.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also tie up a few harnesses without beads and keep them in the box in case I have a hot pattern break off. Just slide the tag end up through the last bead in front of the hook. Once all the hardware is on the new snell clip the old one and tie off the new one. Back in business pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Tie your own for sure! Look into Black Bird Hooks. These are the sharpest most durable hooks Ive ever dealt with. All you really need is some gold Colorado or Indiana blades in all honesty BUT............ You wont be sorry with these northland baitfish blades. Used to use them when i mated a bunch. These three colors flat out catch fish! And you got the right football team! View attachment 771409 View attachment 771410 View attachment 771411 View attachment 771412

Blackbird hooks are what I use for steelhead and trout, when I’m rolling spawn bags. They are sticky sharp. They are made in Japan, so I would suppose one of the main Japanese companies is the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Steelheading in the Ohio tribs is where I started using the black birds. Then I thought if these can hold a pissed off 13lb steely on then walleye should be no issue and they arent. I use the same size for spawn bags as I do for harnesses.

·
Registered
260 Posts
tie my own and I often use Mustad slow death hooks size 1 and 2. In addition to Colorado blades I highly recommend Smile blades as well.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
To look at a working harness, you will notice the beads are the primary color. The blade is for vibration and flash, and a little color. Something to keeping mind when tying your own.
The beads and the back side of the blade. If you see walleyes hit on video, many times they will swim up behind the bait and track it before hitting it. I like to use anti-freeze tape on the back side of my blades, which seems to trigger them at times. Could be my imagination.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts