Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried harnesses for the first time today and had a few hooks break wtf. Am I better off tying my own with some 4x hooks? Or are broken hooks just part of the game with harnesses?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yep tie my own. Use high quality swivel, 20# flurocarbon, and super sharp hooks. I tie mine sitting on the porch while talking to wife and neighbor. Always put the used harnesses of the day aside and retie with new line and possibly with new hooks.

Almost always hand flip the fish in the boat. No net means less call to the nearby boats to the area.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I put the swivel on my weights and divers. I started just tying the harness off with a perfection loop. I have too many harnesses to put bb swivels on them all.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
i use good VMC #2 octopus hooks as well and sold quite a few to friends and what not, but havent had hardly any hooks break besides snags that broke the harness itself

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Lots of good choices listed above ,tie your own up, pretty easy to do, if you never tied any up, YouTube some videos pretty simple, good luck

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Tried harnesses for the first time today and had a few hooks break wtf. Am I better off tying my own with some 4x hooks? Or are broken hooks just part of the game with harnesses?
Absolutely tie your own! Still may have some broken hooks but then you can repair them!
I have some great reference sheets I'll see if I can find them, gets you started...
Found them attached, should keep you busy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Tie your own for sure! Look into Black Bird Hooks. These are the sharpest most durable hooks Ive ever dealt with. All you really need is some gold Colorado or Indiana blades in all honesty BUT............ You wont be sorry with these northland baitfish blades. Used to use them when i mated a bunch. These three colors flat out catch fish! And you got the right football team!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Tie your own. I keep 4 or 5 of each color pattern each and that way when one's hot I have more. My friends dad always took us walleye fishing as kids and let us tie our own to try out. It was cool as a young man to catch them on your own bait and it's still cool to this day.

Reactions: Carpenter Bill

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
It’s fun when you paint your own and build them and catch fish !! It’s an addiction lol doing all my own bandits and huskys too , built about 700 harnesses since Xmas lol , there is lot of good suppliers for beads and such I don’t get much from netcraft but I did initially but they are higher priced and not as nice stuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Tie your own for sure! Look into Black Bird Hooks. These are the sharpest most durable hooks Ive ever dealt with. All you really need is some gold Colorado or Indiana blades in all honesty BUT............ You wont be sorry with these northland baitfish blades. Used to use them when i mated a bunch. These three colors flat out catch fish! And you got the right football team! View attachment 771409 View attachment 771410 View attachment 771411 View attachment 771412
Those blackbird hooks look interesting. Last year I put a bunch of hooks under the microscope to get a good look at the points, both right out of the package and comparing used ones touched up with a file. Owner needle point were the sharpest, and no matter how careful I was sharpening, never could get them back to factory sharpness. Gamakatsu was second, and I could resharpen back close to factory. Everything else was worse, and a few had rolled points right out of the package. These were all bigger hooks than you’d use for harnesses. I didn’t have any Daiichi hooks to see how they stack up as they are supposed to be on the same level as Owner and Gamakatsu.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I make my own and I normally use hooks that are a size or two larger than most of the store bought ones. I also like to go a bit heavier with the flouro leader material, as flouro is pretty much invisible to the fish, so I don't see any downside. Plus, it is nice to be able to grab the leader and swing those eater sized fish in and keep them out of the net. I tie all of mine with two hooks, as we normally use half crawlers. I used to use the quick change clevises, but after loosing a bunch of blades with them, I went back to the metal ones. The blades would get caught in the net and it would rip them right off and into the water they go.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Those blackbird hooks look interesting. Last year I put a bunch of hooks under the microscope to get a good look at the points, both right out of the package and comparing used ones touched up with a file. Owner needle point were the sharpest, and no matter how careful I was sharpening, never could get them back to factory sharpness. Gamakatsu was second, and I could resharpen back close to factory. Everything else was worse, and a few had rolled points right out of the package. These were all bigger hooks than you’d use for harnesses. I didn’t have any Daiichi hooks to see how they stack up as they are supposed to be on the same level as Owner and Gamakatsu.
I can attest they work well for steelies usin spawn bags. Never thought to try them on snells.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I was able to snell the black birds. I use smaller hooks then most with trolling harness's . I'll use the same size as egg hooks. Everyone says there too small for walleye but if a steelhead fights a hell of a lot harder than a eye! I for sure lose less fish on them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts