Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a c.1971 Eska 5hp motor that's been running inconsistently, even after changing the spark plug and gear oil in the lower unit. The motor sometimes runs just fine, but other times cuts out often, no matter how I tweak the rich/lean control. It seems like the gas delivery to the carburetor from the external gas tank is inconsistent.

I've used some carburetor cleaning additives, and that still hasn't got it running consistently, though it does seem to run longer without cutting out at night than in the day. I don't want to run from the tank on the motor, because I'd need to re-fill it too often when trolling long and fast for muskies on LSC.

All the places I know that service outboard motors of this age only service Johnson and Evinrude motors. Anybody around here who can figure out what the deal is with this Eska motor?

·
Registered
936 Posts
are you opening the vent on top of the gas cap or is it obstructed? could be vapor locking.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
How old is the fuel hose??? A lot of the fuel today has alcohol in it. The older hoses were not meant to use alcohol. Some of the other rubber parts in the fuel system are also not alcohol compatible. Once these rubber parts start to deteriorate they can cause a lot of problems, some of them dangerous. Don't overlook the ignition as a possible problem.:)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The external tank and hose are brand new. I wonder about the linkage, because it does not seem to fit that tightly where the hose connects to the motor.

I have been keeping the vent cap open, but I do wonder if it gets good inflow. Also, how the hose lines up with the motor link seems to also have some bearing on how long it runs without cutting out.

The motor does start pretty well, except sometimes right after it cuts out. Changing the spark plug improved the performance, but didn't straighten it out completely.

I've also noticed the motor can run very long without problems at times, but then after I stop it to play a fish or whatever, it often starts cutting out a lot.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think they are pretty much lawn mower type engines,might try a local lawn mower shop,find one of the old timers that know what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
You might want to give Northwestern Boat Co. a call. They're on the north side of Ten Mile Rd. just east of Evergreen. It might be worth a shot. I know they work on Evinrude/Johnson, but they may be able to check out your Eska. It's worth a shot!

Northwestern Boat Co

Local(248) 356-2477
19740 W 10 Mile Rd
Southfield, MI 48075

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the fuel tank setup at Northwestern, but they only service Johnson and Evinrude motors. Same with Clem's in Dearborn, which is right near me. Looks like I'll need some luck, all right.

Someone who repairs old lawn mowers might be able to figure it out. Might give that a shot as a last resort.

I really hate gas outboard motors, but can't sustain musky trolling speeds without spending big bucks and having a large enough bank of batteries to sink my boat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you call Lockman's Hardware and Boats in Detroit (Delray) 313 842 0268 He may be able to help although he is the Johnson/Evinrude guru. If he can't help, he can direct you elsewhere I'm sure

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I might be willing to take a shot at it but i wouldn't have a clue on where to get parts other then searching the net.
Might need a carb clean out or fuel pump.
Some of them old ones used Walbro carbs which shouldn't be a problem.
Need to look into whether it has a points & condenser ignition.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Just throwing in my $.02, sometimes the gasket on those vent caps falls down and blocks off the vent even when it’s open ,and also if that is an air cooled motor it is possible you may be boiling the fuel in the lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts