Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good news about ice forming yet and if so how much. I am so ready! It has been cold enough so soon, very soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
We are getting ready up here in the UP. Word on the street is we have over an inch on select lakes. They may have more in other parts of the UP (namely west) but I am not quite sure. I'd give it a week or two to make sure the ice is safe and we'll be fishing.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm going to give a lake up in the nlp a check on turkey day.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Lake Cadillac (Wexford Co.) - Has shore ice forming on the West side of the lake. Not much, but maybe 100 yds. - 200 yds. out (as of 7 a.m. today). The canal between Lake Cadillac and Lake Mitchell is also frozen over.

Halmin Lake (Mason Co.) - Had ice forming on the South end of Indian Pete's Bayou on Wednesday (11/19).

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The East Bay on Houghton Lake is Iced over.

pike man:fish:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good news. Maybe we will get out on the hard water early this year.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you want to get out...head to the shallowest lakes first.

Regardless of how big they are....if it's less than 10ft deep for the whole lake...it will freeze very quick...3 days of teens will make a lake like that have 2-4 inches

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you want to get out...head to the shallowest lakes first.

Regardless of how big they are....if it's less than 10ft deep for the whole lake...it will freeze very quick...3 days of teens will make a lake like that have 2-4 inches
Exactly...my gill lake is skimmed right now...couple more <20* nights and I'm on!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went to Kent today and couldn't launch the boat due to ice. I'd say 75% of the lake had a skim on it and at the shore it was too thick to break through easily. Went to Woodland and it was much thinner, but I didn't want to try it. Crooked Lake had a couple inches back in the boat launch area, somebody spudded a hole to check.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Bender,

I drove past Chilson Pond tonight on my way to Brighton. Its froze over. Its also very shallow. USMarine's comment had me thinking about some shallow lakes in my area. I see people out on Chilson Pond early every year. Just wondering have you/or do you know anybody that does any good on it?

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
let's remember it's still a bit early. the lakes were warm just a couple weeks ago. heck they just turned over .
but i'm still thinking next weekend on the channel & shallow lakes (without springs) here on the west side. middle & east side,a bit sooner

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went to chilson last year mid January. I caught a couple of dink bluegill. There are some smaller pike in there I had a couple set off a tip up but didn't land anything. It'll be the first place I hit this year. Its really weedy on the sides, and the beach area isn't very productive. Use a flasher to find the holes.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
55 acre private lake in northern Oakland county has just over an inch this morning. Was walking on it this morning.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Lyman's bait and tackle reports houghton lake just froze over. Also, Lakes Cadillac and possibly Mitchell in that case would have a very good chance of being ready by next weekend from looking at the forecast.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
i just check a spot where i've been on early before. that "spot" is still open. so i'm changing it back to 2 weeks.
like i said earlier, the weather was pretty warm just before it got cold. if we had a couple weeks of 40 degree days, i think we'd be alot better

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It got pretty warm today...and it was real sunny. Do a double take on those lakes.

When I mentioned safe ice after three days with weather in the teens...I was talking about highs in the teens:D

All bets are off if it's only dipping into the teens at night and then 40's during the day.

But if it's dipping into the teens and only getting, at the most, 35...with no rain....that will make ice steady...but not too fast. Those highs in the teens can really pump the ice out:fish:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts