Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a remodel project. Are the whalers as stable as advertised? I do know the brand holds its resale value, though I'm looking at actually trolling and fishing with the boat if I find one. If you could please list the Pros and Cons.
Thanks Hal

·
Registered
134 Posts
I owned a 1998 Dauntless 18 that I bought new. Had a 135 Merc Optimax on it. Fished it on lake MI and lake Erie for 16 years. Those lakes pounded the hell out of it over those years and she handled it without drama. I ended up selling it and bought the boat in my avatar because I wanted a couple extra feet and something better suited for trolling where I could comfortably sit. But man, what a difference in build quality. The Whaler was a tank compared to the aluminum boat I'm running now.

The Whaler was a rough ride though. It slaps the water rather than plowing through it. Could have been the model's hull design, but I remember a similar ride in my uncle's mid-80's Outrage. His developed a rotting transom due to water absorption. He kept his moored in the water every year though. Something to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I just picked up an ‘85 Mako 17 footer with a 110 evinrude. Outfitted it for big water. Took it out for the first time Monday. I was in 2-3 foot waves & hi wind & she handled great! I did take some water over the bow & got wet feet but boy did she fish great!! Fun boat to drive too! I kicked her up to just about 40mph on the way in & skipped right across the tops!
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle
Water Food Vertebrate Naval architecture Boat
Water Boat Naval architecture Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Wood Fish Rectangle Recreation Boat
Water Boat Vehicle Naval architecture Wood
Food Vertebrate Seafood Fish Fin

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
At least John was not wearing Crocs!

Reactions: John Hine

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have a 1999 montauk that I bought in 2001. I love that boat and I would never sell it. It's been in the rough waters of lake St. Clair but I mostly use it on Drummond. I recovered it in 2006 because the the Evenrude that was on it failed. I put an E- tec on it and it works flawlessly. Buy a Whaler, you will never regret it.
Wheel Tire Sky Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: Shoeman

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What size are you looking at?

13-15' But what ever size It will be tiller boat. The brand does seem to come in odd number sizes.

Hal

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
The 130 is bad for a tiller, since the freeboard is very low. Even at my console it would get an occasional wave/wake over the top into the boat. I installed a transom mounted electric where you would have to be back there to run it and without someone on the bow it got hairy a few times.

Can’t speak for the 150. Fun boat though
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

1 - 13 of 13 Posts