Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many others were stuck? I spent 14 hours in my truck waiting to cross and I think when they let us finally go across the wind was just as bad as when they first stopped me. Anyway I only saw 2 deer all week and out of 13 guys in camp we only got 2 single spike bucks and an 8 point. Deer did not seem to be moving never saw any track in the fresh snow and didn't even hear many shots at all. I was hunting south of Rudyard at I75 and the Bay Road.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
My buddies did. 12 hrs.

Saw 1 spike in a week. Near Epoufette w/ 7 guys.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
My father-in-law and a couple of buddies got to Mack. City around noon on Sunday. They ended up waiting 10 hours and finally started looking for a place to stay. They finally found a motel room in Indian River and the guy said it was the last one available.

He said Mackinaw City was packed and looked like the staging area for the Normandy invasion. No rooms in either Mack city or Cheboygen. I think he said they opened the bridge around 11:30 that night.

They hunted four days in the UP on Public land along the North shore of Lake Michigan, near Naubinway. They did not see any deer or get any shots in four days. He said they did see some tracks in the snow but no movement during daylight hours. They have been hunting this area for 30 years and while they rarely get more than 1 deer between the three of them they at least usually see some. I'd guess the high winds and snow played a major role.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I didnt then but did have a wild ride across the bridge last winter. We were on our way home from white fish pointe last year with a 24 foot enclosed car trailer loaded with sleds. well they let us past then shut it down right after they gave us a go. Talk about scary. The wind was ripping across that bridge so hard it was pushing the 1 ton dually all over the rode. It ended up breaking the straps holding the side awning. well the awning was flying like a parachute till one of the bridges cable beams ripped it completly off the trailer. Man the girl were freeking. Quite the expirence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I checked the weather reports early Saturday morning and saw the high wind watch and left around 6 PM Sat night instead of my usual 5 AM Sunday morning which was the original plan.

Crossing the bridge around 11:30 Sat night things were just wet but shortly after getting further west on US 2 the winds and rain picked up and made the drive on the white knuckle side. But made it in to Curtis with no problems. When the other two guys, already at camp got up at 4:15 Sunday morning I was real happy with my deciscion to leave Sat night. They had a couple of trees blow down near there treestands and came home before first light on Sunday.

With regards to the hunt, it was bad. We hunt south of Gould City on CFA land. I stay out all day and hunted Tues, Wed, and just a couple of hours on Thurs morning. I saw a doe and two fawns on Tues afternoon and that was it.

One guy shot a spiker on Tues morning and saw two other bucks later, but none big enough, the other guy saw a spike and doe on Wed and that was it while I was there. Talked to a nearby landowner with crops and nice blind set ups and he didn't see squat, sounded like the rest of his party went north of Seney where they have some other hunting property.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is one of the pictures I took. Since it is the only exciting Picture/story I have from this season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts