Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite camping trips of the year is our halloween camping trip.this year will be our 8th year of halloween camping.were dueing two this year.the kids usually make out better at the campgrounds trick or treating then they do in our sub.some people go all out and really decorate there camesites,some even put up haunted houses,that put most local haughted houses to shame.my kids have a blast with the punkin decorating contest,the costume contests,the haughted hayrides and more.I was just wondering who else does halloween camping?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
We dont, our kids are still too young, but I've visited my sister and her family at Metamora park. What a great time for the family. Tons of kids, lots of activities. Some of the campsites really get dressed up for the ocassion ( grave yards, witches, etc.) They have a haunted house, the DNR did a show on bats. It will be something we definitely do when the kids are old enough, I might even be able to sneek in some hunting or fishing...:)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually sneak in few hours of fishin in the morning ,rest of day kept on the run going from one event to another with the kids.this has become a yearly tradition in our family,i think I enjoy it as much as the kids.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We go every year. We've been doing it since my kids were infants. We get together with my parents and my sister and her husband and their kids. We have a blast! A lot of campers do a wonderful job decorating their campers and camp-sites. We always do a "Spook-Walk" after dark! The kids love it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My family has gone 2 years now. We go to the Monroe KOA. It is usually a great time. They have a Magic show and hayride, trick or treating, and pumpkin carving contest. What are some of the other campgounds that do it ?

·
Super Moderator
11,731 Posts
Howdy-

I have to say I have never heard of it!

But now that I have, it opens up a whole bunch of ideas.....

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RMR,
have herd good things about the koa in monroe,we have done the halloween a t the state parks,they keep you busy,costume contests,punkin decorating contests,site decorating contest,hay rides ,haughted hikes,haughted houses and of course trick and treating.one of the parks evan has a bon fire with a haughted dance.
were headed to old orchard park in oscoda this weekend for theres,and next weekend to lakeport s.p. for theres.were addicted just too much fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gone Fishing,
I did not know the State Parks hosted halloween weekends. Some people at Monroe KOA get pretty carried away. A couple of 'em rent extra sites to build what seem like theme park attractions. One year a big group of people got together and built a pirate ship. It was abot 15 feet wide and 40 feet long. They were all dressed up in pirate outfits. They had it so that it was kinda a like a haunted ship that you had to walk through. With all the screaming coming from it my kids would go near it.
I hope to get one more trip in this year, maybe we will try one of the state parks.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rmr,
same things at the state parks some people really get into it.spend days setting up,I;ve seen two storied haughted houses set up on lots.not all state parks have a halloween program,but are a few more evry year getting into it.might be hard to get in this year they fill up fast,you'll need to call the reservation system and ask for any cancellations.

·
Registered
635 Posts
We will be going to Metamora this weekend for the first time. We usually camp at Howell but could not get in. We called the Minimum six months in advance for reservations and they were all booked up.
Looking forward to a great time.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did the haughted hayride and haughted house
at old orchard park in oscoda,this past weekend my 10yr son and 12 yr daughter went both nights,my 5yr choose to stay by the campfire with mom and dad saturday night.the yankee air force put on a good show,they will be doing again the next two weekends.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
headed to lakeport s.p. for there halloween weekend this coming weekend.the kids and big kids of this family can hardly wait.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gone Fishin (Larry)
My familyand I are heading to Old Orchard in Oscoda this weekend what should I look for? Good sites, activities for kids, what was going on with Yankee Air Force. Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Going to try it for the first time this weekend at Port Cresent State Park near Port Austin. Friend's of mine and their family have been doing it for year's. I never wanted to take the time away from bow hunting to go but this year I finally gave in. My 5 year old daughter is really excited, she loves camping as it is and getting dressed up and getting candy is just a bonus. I don't think my 1 1/2 year old know's what Halloween is yet. But I'm sure she'll learn fast from her older sister. ;)

Have a great time if you go and be safe.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
northbay, there are lots of good sites at old orchard this time of year.you get your tickets at the park store,the hayrides start rolling just before dark,they take you to the haughted house first,after you leave the haughhted house the best is yet to come the hay ride takes around 45 min. sorry it took a few days to get back been real busy,have fun.

·
Registered
109 Posts
:) Thanks,
Looks like the kids will have lots of fun as long as they stay warm as the wekend looks cool. Looking on the web it shows that Yankee Air Force has tours on Saturday so we may check that out.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hit lakeport s.p. this past weekend for there annual halloween weekend,another great time, a little disapionted no two story haughted houses,neverless a great time was had by all.the kids cleaned trick and treating and had a blast with all the events there.my hats off to michigan trails a way who sponsors the event.

young steve, how was port cresent halloween weekend ? love that park ,one year would not mind checking it out for halloween.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well, being a first timer to the Halloween camping thing I don't have much to compare it to, But we all had a really good time. The campground was a little tight backing in a 30' 5th wheel. But once we got set up it was smooth sailing. (I'll have to get a different site next year).
We went with a group of 4 family's. The kid's were busy all day with pumpkin carvings, scarecrow building contest, hay rides and of course trick or treating. With the kids running around all day it wasn't hard to put them to bed and the grown ups got a chance to sit around the fire and relax.

I was amazed how much some people really get into decorating their camper's and even bringing an extra tent or canopy to make their own haunted house.

I will probably go again next year and I'll definitely have to bring more Halloween paraphernalia to hang around the camper. I kinda felt a little underdressed.

It looked like Sleeper's campground had something going on too. Port Cresent and Sleeper's were both full. If you plan on going next year you better make reservations early.

-Be Safe-

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
We've done the Halloween camping thing before. Great fun. We've even camped at some place that has a Halloween in August thing, which moves the trick-or-treating into warmer (read hot) weather, but it's still fine

1 - 20 of 26 Posts