Dough after mixing and bulk fermentation, before shaping
Jaw Natural material Wood Art Fossil

After shaping and before proofing
Food Insect Ingredient Baked goods Cuisine

After baking, before coating with butter and powdered sugar
Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Dish

After coating with butter and powdered sugar
Ingredient Cuisine Dish Font Liquid

Two stollens are now wrapped in foil and plastic, and are maturing in a cool dry place until Christmas. It will be a 6-7 week process to make stollen.

Reactions: Airoh

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
das Brot

Approx 15% whole wheat and the balance unbleached white all purpose. I used up all of my white and whole wheat, time to reload! I have some rye in the pantry so that’s what will be in the next loaves.

Food Staple food Ingredient Cuisine Artifact

Food Cuisine Ingredient Dish Bread

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
The Stollen was a success!

Fruity, nutty and dense, faintly sweet with a nice marzipan center. This was the first year I have made Stollen and it might make regular Christmas appearances.

Food Ingredient Jaw Staple food Artifact

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
White pizza, common in the East Coast where we used to live. So good.

Dough recipe from Bruno Albouze. Here are the amounts I used, scaled down from the original recipe.

300 g flour, Tipo 00 is best but I had white unbleached all purpose on hand
100 g water
100 g milk
12 g olive oil
5 g salt
1/3 packet instant yeast

Mix dough ingredients, knead for 10-15 minutes by hand or in a machine with the hook attachment until elastic. Wrap with plastic and leave in the fridge overnight.

Remove dough from fridge 15-30 minutes before baking. Brush pizza screen or pan with olive oil. Preheat oven to 550 deg F.

Dust work surface with corn meal, stretch dough to fit a 14" pizza screen or pan. Brush top surface of stretched dough with olive oil. Add seasonings and toppings, drizzle a little more olive oil. Bake at 550 deg F for 12-15 minutes until desired doneness. I like my crust fairly well done, my wife likes it less well done. The photo shows a middle ground of doneness. I like to see some char on the crust.

Pizza seasonings:
salt
pepper
rosemary
oregano
thinly sliced onion
finely minced fresh garlic
cooked and dried spinach, I used frozen from the grocery. Cooked broccoli is also excellent
fresh mozzarella

Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Dish
Food Pizza Ingredient Tableware Recipe
Food Ingredient Tableware Plant Recipe

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·

Normal formula, this time with 2/3 semolina rimacinata and 1/3 white all purpose unbleached wheat flour. 70% hydration.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Latest bake. Similar formula as the previous but with less hydration (water). Lower hydration makes handling the dough easier. Semolina doesn't have as much gluten as all purpose flour, and it gets sloppy at hydrations over 70%.

Total flour: 900g of which 300g all purpose unbleached white in poolish and 600g semolina rimacinata in main dough
Total water: 600g of which 300g in poolish and 300g in main dough
Total yeast: 5/8tsp of which 1/8tsp in poolish and 1/2tsp in main dough
Total salt: 18g

Mix poolish and let rest overnight. Mix main dough together with poolish, slap-fold for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Let ferment for 2 hours in a lukewarm oven. Form into a boule then into an elongated oval. Proof for one hour in a microwave preheated with hot water. Bake at 500deg F for 35 minutes then at 430deg for 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a rack and slice when completely cooled to room temperature.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
White pizza for dinner tonight.

Same crust as the previous version. This one had more toppings, so the cooking time was 25 minutes at 525 deg F.

Pizza seasonings:
olive oil brushed on the crust
salt
pepper
rosemary
thyme
oregano
basil
thinly sliced onion
cherry tomatoes
cooked broccoli from the grocery freezer section
fresh mozzarella
parmesan

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe
Food Pizza Ingredient Fast food Recipe
Food Ingredient Recipe Fines herbes Plate

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
Another semolina loaf. This one with 1/3 white all purpose, 1/3 semolina rimacinata and 1/3 plain semolina or semolina meal.

Probably one more semolina after this, then I want to finish up some rye meal, then move back into spelt.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
White pizza

crust as before, Bruno Albouze recipe
Brussels sprouts
Sun dried tomatoes
Fresh mozz
Onions
Thyme
Rosemary
Basil
Salt and pepper

Open crust on cornmeal dusted surface. Spread toppings evenly. Bake at 550deg F for 10 minutes, then 525deg F until well browned. Serve with salad. Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Back to rye. This loaf has 1/3 rye meal and 2/3 unbleached white all purpose flour. Nice rye aroma and tanginess.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
White pizza y’all!

Crust as before, recipe from Bruno Albouze
EVOO brushed on crust
Salt
Black pepper
Rosemary
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Fresh mozzarella
Artichokes hearts
Green bell pepper
Onion
Sun dried tomatoes

Stretch crust on cornmeal covered surface. Brush with oil, add seasonings and toppings.

Preheat oven to 550 deg F. Bake at 525 deg F for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes to allow the cheese to set.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Pepperoni pizza! Celebrating the end of Lent and the beginning of Easter!

Crust - same as always
Toppings - pepperoni, dried whole milk mozzarella, pizza sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and EVOO brushed on the crust.

This is a bit well done, intentionally. I wanted to avoid a wet center from the sauce. It was excellent. Nice flavor added by the sauce, and crunchy edge of crust.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Pepperoni pizza, deux

Same crust as always, Bruno Albouze recipe
EVOO brushed on the crust
salt
freshly ground black pepper
oregano
basil
pizza sauce
shredded whole milk mozzarella
pepperoni

This one is more tender and soft than version 1 from last week, which my wife prefers.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Pizza with caramelized onions and breakfast sausage on whole wheat crust

Cleaning up the fridge, I had a few items that needed to find their way into a recipe. Spare breakfast sausage, fresh rosemary and thyme, the last bit of pizza sauce, and onions served the purpose. I haven’t done a whole wheat crust before, so I gave it a try. Fresh mozzarella was great. Good eats.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Pepperoni pizza
25% whole wheat crust. Fresh mozz and the usual seasonings. Featured ingredient is fresh basil.

141 - 161 of 191 Posts