Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Difficult to narrow it down to only 3 as I have learned so much from many of them...

1. The late Paul Knox (AKA Dbltree or Lick Creek)
2. The late Charles Alshiemer
3. Steve Bartylla
4. Grant Woods
5. Neil Daugherty
6. Jeff Sturgis
7. Ed Spinazzola
8. Craig Harper
9. Don Higgins
10. Todd Amenrud

Several others...

A good question Chedda Bob

Book Publication Green Material property Book cover
Publication Book Font Wood Plant

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
No TLer's here? He made you pinky swear not to tell didn't he?...Just joking...:hide:

To answer the question;
1. Neil Dougherty (one of the originals)
2. Jim Ward/Jeff Sturgis tie
3. Steve Bartylla (love his common sense)

If we are talking on MS, it would be the old Bishs posts and, of course, Wild Thing.

I'll read/YouTube about anything to do with habitat, no matter who it is. Three is an awfully short list. Like Jake Elhinger a lot too.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
No TLer's here? He made you pinky swear not to tell didn't he?...Just joking...:hide:

To answer the question;
1. Neil Dougherty (one of the originals)
2. Jim Ward/Jeff Sturgis tie
3. Steve Bartylla (love his common sense)

If we are talking on MS, it would be the old Bishs posts and, of course, Wild Thing.

I'll read/YouTube about anything to do with habitat, no matter who it is. Three is an awfully short list. Like Jake Elhinger a lot too.
Yes - Tony LaPratt knows his stuff as well. I have seen him at outdoor shows and I also attended his boot camp many years ago.

·
Registered
22,743 Posts
Bits and pieces that relate from everyone , while other topics/conditions don't... makes it hard to choose a top three.

Ozoga was first to leave impressions in my youth of there being more to management than any one size fits every site or clime.
And accurate observation is key to what is going on.

The past months (nearly a year now) top three have been a doe and her last years fawns.
Last insight was they're bedding in my spruce plantings among the last 3(?) seedlings.
A great vantage point for them to lounge overlooking their well know home turf including the thoroughfare.
Time spent studying them and the few other visitors has revealed, they are all deer still.

Managing for me comes down to winter browse to determine deer being supported in a healthy manner.
And being on a micro level (with neighboring parcels considered) there is not a lot of flexibility in carrying capacity. Making it easier to know what to remove from the herd vs having many deer on prime winter browse habitat to manage..

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
If I had to limit it to three. Combining the Doughertys as one.

Charles Alsheimer
John Ozoga
Neil and Craig Dougherty

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I will start with:

1. Dr. Jim Brauker, whose habitat day a few years ago really opened my eyes to a new perspective.

2. Jake Ehlinger, whose class I attended earlier this year. I think I have reflected on some element of his teaching almost everyday since and have put some into practice.

3. George Clinton, who wrote the lyric: "Why must I be like that, why must I chase the cat? Ain't nothing but the dog in me."

·
Registered
22,743 Posts
I will start with:

1. Dr. Jim Brauker, whose habitat day a few years ago really opened my eyes to a new perspective.

2. Jake Ehlinger, whose class I attended earlier this year. I think I have reflected on some element of his teaching almost everyday since and have put some into practice.

3. George Clinton, who wrote the lyric: "Why must I be like that, why must I chase the cat? Ain't nothing but the dog in me."
Bio knows habitat for sure.
I edited my earlier post for brevity's sake (honestly...) after trying to describe his impact through eyes on views of varied habitat , the hows and whys of manipulation through vids and clips..

We differ sometimes , but I've claimed more than once he is my favorite habitat guy.

He posted a short vid once of a yearling working a scrape.
The habitat in view (as with all the vids) and the youths ambition , combined with Bio's input spoke volumes about multiple successes and perspective. And while deer habitat enthusiasts may want much more in an example , that clip summed up a lot for this amateur.

Another vid showed deer running around in quite dense cover/structure much easier than expected in it's sheer volume. The impression kind of nulled thoughts of much steering when doe are scraping off amorous bucks.....

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.