Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is not the right area to post this question but I hunt in southeast michigan and have excellent bedding area on or surronding the property. I scouted very well at the end of last season to prepare for this year. There is a monster 8pt est. 4-1/2 buck that I saw last year and 3 times this year. The first two times this year he of course was just outside of bow range. I went to my stand with muzzy last night and to my surprise this buck decided to bed right infront of my stand. I had the perfect opportunity and blew it. I set up 40yds downwind grunted him up, shook like a leaf and missed. I have not been able to sleep since I'm so bummed about this. So my question is once you have shot a gun at an older buck like this will he ever come back? Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
142 Posts
The first thing that I would do is replay the entire scenario in your head (I am sure that you have done this a hundred times) and be sure that the actions of the deer were consistant with a complete miss. If you rushed the shot and squeezed off prior to having the sights rested on the vitals or the deer, that is one thing; but if you had the cross hairs on him at 40 yards, it would be unlikely for a clean miss even if you had a little buck fever. Remember that muzzlelaoders are often notorious for not giving a pass through and leaving little blood, even with a well placed, but slightly high hit.

As for missing an old deer and getting another chance, I really havn't had enough encounters to develop a pattern. There are others here that can help you with that aspect. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
31,058 Posts
I have not been able to sleep since I'm so bummed about this. So my question is once you have shot a gun at an older buck like this will he ever come back? Thanks

Jay
In my experience YES! Depending on the taxidermist 6-12 months later.:evil::lol:
Sorry man...crap happens to all of us. Feel blessed to have had the opportunity and stick with it, the next time will be the charm!;)

Big T

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Give us a description of how you looked for the buck and/or signs of a hit.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Jay, if you want help looking/tracking let me know. I'm in se Mi and have some free time and am willing. And, yes he will be back but will be very wary for a while.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yep, need more info. How did he react, what did you do next, etc.

Watching deer I've shot with a gun which have had other deer with them (or the few I've missed), they typically have no idea where the shot came from. If he busted you, that's another matter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep, need more info. How did he react, what did you do next, etc.

Watching deer I've shot with a gun which have had other deer with them (or the few I've missed), they typically have no idea where the shot came from. If he busted you, that's another matter.
Exactly what I was thinking. I've shot deer with a gun and had them run right at me because they have no idea where the shot came from. If you missed him clean and that's his "home" area, he will be back! Sorry about the miss but mistakes make us better hunters! We've all been there before.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Let that spot rest a while, for sure. That deer likely released a bunch of alarm stink there, even if it didn't know exactly what/where the threat was coming from.

I am always amazed when I take my dog for a walk in the 'hood. She remembers precisely the spots where we've previously spotted rabbits, even from years ago, and goes on the alert accordingly when we pass by them. Predators and prey, they all have special powers that are pretty amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts