Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Every single fish was a female, while not super ripe, I still filled 2-1 gallon bags. They are cured and ready for skein bobbin.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Nice catch for a solo trip and bait for a future trip as well, outstanding.
07/21 afternoon trip- 2-3’ waves with the occasionAl 4’ rolling down from north .2 for 5 fish Went uphill a few miles turned and fished with the waves got the hi diver and low diver on starboard side in 130 fow as I started over to set port diver the low starboard diver goes on blk/ chrome uv bottom spindoctor/ blue meat rig starts screaming out 15-20 min fight get a big King to back of boat where my first time salmon fishing friend misses it twice before it goes under boat and prop cuts off meat rig, 1/2 gr later port side Mag wire diver @172 ft goes another rookie fights to get rod out of rod holder 5 min fight wire somehow got bound and broke off ,1 hr later newly rigged port wire diver @172in145 fow screams out chrome frog spind- doctor Milwaukee minnow fly25 min fight and I net a 25 lb king for the troutaker-Pat Nxt 30 mins later starboard high diver clear uv green dot spindoctor rips out I fight fish for 15 mins good runs before it gets into the wire tangles and fish escapes, next the 200 cu board trips and Silver bullet is immediately up and out of water 10 mins later nice 7 lb steelhead is netted Big rocking waves pitching rolling boat made it a comedy outing for sure , the old saying sometimes we get the fish ,,sometimes they get us ! Well they got 2 of my blue meat rigs and we got the 25 lber King

·
Registered
456 Posts
07/21 afternoon trip- 2-3’ waves with the occasionAl 4’ rolling down from north .2 for 5 fish Went uphill a few miles turned and fished with the waves got the hi diver and low diver on starboard side in 130 fow as I started over to set port diver the low starboard diver goes on blk/ chrome uv bottom spindoctor/ blue meat rig starts screaming out 15-20 min fight get a big King to back of boat where my first time salmon fishing friend misses it twice before it goes under boat and prop cuts off meat rig, 1/2 gr later port side Mag wire diver @172 ft goes another rookie fights to get rod out of rod holder 5 min fight wire somehow got bound and broke off ,1 hr later newly rigged port wire diver @172in145 fow screams out chrome frog spind- doctor Milwaukee minnow fly25 min fight and I net a 25 lb king for the troutaker-Pat Nxt 30 mins later starboard high diver clear uv green dot spindoctor rips out I fight fish for 15 mins good runs before it gets into the wire tangles and fish escapes, next the 200 cu board trips and Silver bullet is immediately up and out of water 10 mins later nice 7 lb steelhead is netted Big rocking waves pitching rolling boat made it a comedy outing for sure , the old saying sometimes we get the fish ,,sometimes they get us ! Well they got 2 of my blue meat rigs and we got the 25 lber King

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice fish, sometimes those waves give you lots of nice tangles and lost fish at the boat but that fishing lol. Going to try and sneak a trip in tomorrow after work hopefully it's still the 1-2 ft forecast and doesn't start to build until after dark.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys I’m heading looking to fish Whitehall tomorrow for the first time never launched there before what’s the closest launch and Is there bait shop that opens early near by? Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a small boat launch on the SW corner of White Lake at the end of Scenic Dr. Otherwise you've got the Montague municipal ramp.

Johnson's Great Outdoors in Montague, I believe they open at 7am.

You could also hit Ray's Mini Mart if you're coming from the South. I believe they're open at 6am.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took my first trip out of there a couple weeks ago, not sure about the smaller launch but I used the Montague launch and it was nice with a nice fish cleaning station. Good luck in the morning, I am going to try and sneak out after work for the evening bite if the weather is good.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The Montague launch. Be sure to pay, the lot is frequented by ticket writers.

Sometimes paying is not enough:

Not my truck. I did call city hall and made them aware of the error. Was told the Chief would be notified. Not sure how this was resolved.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow looks like the temp has moved down. Thanks for the great report, hope to be out there fishing the same timeframe tonight. Weekend is booked with family time so this is my only shot until late next week.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok cool that gives me a good place to start. Looks like the weather is going to good enough so I should be at the ramp around 5ish if the rest of the days goes as planned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Set up and made a troll north 120-150fow tough getting a good speed everytime I looked over we were 1.7. just made turn south and current is definitely moving north can't seem to slow down going into it. Got just about everything covered and haven't had a sniff yet. just hooked up on a 200 copper

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got back late last night after one of the worst averages I have had in a long time. Lost a lot of tackle but had a good time getting some Great lakes newbies a couple of fish. The stats are ended up 2-7 with a laker and a steelhead lost a handful of nice King's. Bent hook, broke at the swivel, broke leader on the wire dipsey, cut off by the third copper line it wrapped up in, just could not catch a break on a king last night. Fished 90-160 best depth was 130-135 75 on the one rigger with a custom spoon which is one they took with them. 250 copper took a couple hits with another custom, wire diver had a trash can/blue meat head combo(City Chicken rig) back 160. The other rigger was down 100 with an SS greasy chicken wing on the free slider taking a couple hits. Nothing on the braid dipsey all night. Fish started the action with the 200 copper hitting that black screw ball and then it was pretty constant action after that untill we pulled lines at 10. Started picking up but then settled back down a little for the ride in. Good luck if you get out, maybe late next week for me to get another trip in

81 - 100 of 119 Posts