Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Late report from the weekend.
Saturday evening went 3-5. 2 Lakers and a nice king that went 20. Jumped off a nice steelhead and lost a coho in the prop wash going crazy. King was 115 fow meat rig, mag dipsey down 125. The steel head has 7 colors of lead and a dancing anchovy spoon if anyone finds it 😂🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
Sunday AM 2-5. Coho and a laker. The 3 misses were all on the same meat rig as day before 125 down mag dipsey. Meat has the most hits for me, fished 85-170 in the two days. Most productive was inside 120.
Heading to Frankfort in week and half, hopefully a 40 pounder is swimming around!

good luck Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thinking of heading up to Whitehall Saturday pending the weather. Coming up from St. Joe can anyone recommend a boat launch?
Never fished out that port. Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thinking of heading up to Whitehall Saturday pending the weather. Coming up from St. Joe can anyone recommend a boat launch?
Never fished out that port. Thanks
used to be able to launch out of Montague city launch but due to COVID it is yearly pass only now I believe 40$ for yearly pass

·
Registered
222 Posts
yeah we went up there the other Thur evening and if it wouldn't have been 1/2 way through the season Id have bought a year pass, there is a donation launch on the very SW side of the lake... we put $5 in the can and ran out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The SW launch known as "Buzzes" is a good local launch for smaller boats and deep v's. Anything big and fiberglass needs to go out from the Montague launch. That's really about it for launches.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The SW launch known as "Buzzes" is a good local launch for smaller boats and deep v's. Anything big and fiberglass needs to go out from the Montague launch. That's really about it for launches.
Thanks I have a 20 foot glass deep v

·
Registered
456 Posts
We will be on water Wednesday morning before the next big blow, Konablue1 on 68 if you’re going out! and will report after outing!
WEDnesday am trip lines down at 5:45-lines up 11:45 3 steelhead-2Coho-1 King-3 Lakers fished 120-150 is where we caught fish ,,2 - on white glo uv big paddle no mercy fly d.r down 70 for 1 90 for the next wirediver Mag out 160 took 2 on Kevin’s girlfriend , blue meat rig, king and a coho on raspberry carbonmag spoon downrigger out 75 and down 75,, 300 cuwith 8”green uv spindoctor leprechaun fly also for2

·
Registered
41 Posts
WEDnesday am trip lines down at 5:45-lines up 11:45 3 steelhead-2Coho-1 King-3 Lakers fished 120-150 is where we caught fish ,,2 - on white glo uv big paddle no mercy fly d.r down 70 for 1 90 for the next wirediver Mag out 160 took 2 on Kevin’s girlfriend , blue meat rig, king and a coho on raspberry carbonmag spoon downrigger out 75 and down 75,, 300 cuwith 8”green uv spindoctor leprechaun fly also for2
I heard you on the radio. Didn’t have your success. Saw you taking a picture at the ramp. Nice catch

·
Registered
456 Posts
I heard you on the radio. Didn’t have your success. Saw you taking a picture at the ramp. Nice catch
Unlike the most of boats , we enjoyalittle radio communication as to what’s working or not , charter Capts have their network they all phone call .no 1 is as smart as ALL of us, best is yet to come,Whitehall great port , every fish but one had multiplealewives in stomachs😱🕶

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
every fish but one had multiplealewives in stomachs😱🕶
That's what everyone is saying and you know you can't get fish as big as have been caught this year without a decent supply of bait. Great to see decent catches coming in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Went out of Montague for the first time Saturday, not too bad. Annual launch at $40 irritated at first but will make me fish a little more to get my money's worth, lol. I heard there is a big bass tournament out of there this weekend might get busy. I am going to try and get out for a few hours tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
That's what everyone is saying and you know you can't get fish as big as have been caught this year without a decent supply of bait. Great to see decent catches coming in.
The size has been like this for nearly 5 years now. Seems there’s been little change, but a stability achieved atm. The dnr really needs to figure what they want to do with the king fishery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
21lbs this afternoon, 120fow on a downrigger with spoon 70 down, filled with BIG alewives and eggs, I think that’s a sign they may be slowly starting to stage, headed out again in the morning, silver spoon on 68, good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
54 Posts
2 for 5 this morning got 2 cohos one 90 down on rigger and 55. In about 115-120 fow.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very nice. Didn't get a chance to get out myself today and may call for a mid week afternoon trip. Looks like it was going to be a great morning to be out on the lake.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
7-17 AM, lines down at 0545 and lines up at 1115. We ended up 7 for 11? Best water was 120 to 150 60 to 80 down.

2 kings came on blue ladderback plug at first light on a rigger down 65.

6 takes on meat on wire back 150 and 175.

1 on flounder pounder down 80 on a rigger.

1 on meat down 75 on a rigger.

1 high diver meat 220 back.

We switch to our meat game as the sun started to come up. All fish were out of temp and fighting weird, running at the boat, crossing lines. We had 2 massive tangles. Had 1 fish run at the boat cross over and under both high and low divers, came off at the boat and miraculously slip into the net.

6 kings between 18 and 24 and one 4# coho.

14258.jpg
14265.jpg
14261.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice work, thanks for the report. The one thing you can always count on with nice 3 and 4 yrs old kings you never know what they are going to do and which lines they will tangle when the decide to run.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts