Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get things going.

Boat has been in the water for 4 weeks, toyed around with trolling for pike last weekend and got a handful of undersized fish.

Last night was the true shakedown trip.

Set up in 40 fow and trolled out to 220. Marked 1 fish in close then nothing. Once we hit 200 we had a triple landed a 3# steelhead and 3# coho, lost what seemed to be a laker on a deep rigger. Made a loop and hit the same waypoint and hit a double, a 5# steelhead and another 3# coho. Swung around again and got a single 2ish# coho. Sun set and that was that.

4 color went 3 times with a watermelon stinger spoon.
5 color went 1 time with mixed veggies.
2 color went 1 time with steelie stomper.
Rigger 1 time down 120 down with a mongooseish stinger.

No big fish, but very happy with the little eaters. They are in tight pods, so mark your spot and keep rolling over it.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Great report. Thanks! Going to be a bit further north this next week but its still good to hear about action to the south. Nice job.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When running lead core and a spoon do you add a snap weight. We troll lead core with 1 oz jigs with trailers for stripers. Just curious on set up.
thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When running lead core and a spoon do you add a snap weight. We troll lead core with 1 oz jigs with trailers for stripers. Just curious on set up.
thanks for the answer.
That is an option if limited on tackle. I did that back in the day when I ran only 4 rods, had a 2, 3, 5 and 10 color and would add snap weights as needed.

Now I just have a rod for each purpose from 1 color down to 450 copper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another question on lead core. I run 50 feet plus or minus a few feet of 20 # test fluorocarbon. What leader length is most common for great lakes .
thanks for the answers

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick late report.

Fished Saturday afternoon, full boat with 4 kids...2 of which were new to the big water. Weather forecast showed 1.0', show up to 3's and 4's. Work slowly out to 120 and set 4 boards and 2 riggers. Hit 170 and 2 boards and a rigger go off. Get those fish in and the next rigger goes off. Get that one in and the riggers back down 2 other boards go off.

Kids started getting really green so the moms pulled the plug in 207, popped the riggers and caught two more as they drifted up. Nothing big, we fished high in the water column knowing it was a quick trip, and the two kiddos needed to catch there first silver fish.

In 20 to 30 minutes we went 8 for 8. Biggest fish was a 5ish# steelhead, rest were 1 to 3# chinooks and cohos. Kept 2 chinooks and the 1 steelhead.

2 color, 3 color, 4 color, 5 color, riggers down 55 and 30. Steelie stomper, monkey puke, mixed veggies, watermelon, wrecking ball and blue dolphin.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again....late report.

Fished Monday night, set up in 200 and zig zagged between 200 and 240. Got 2 small chinooks in 220. That was it out there so we started to work in shallower. Popped 2 more small chinooks in 180 then got a 20.15# chinook in 165. Picked up and left after that one. Absolutely a beautiful night.

2 on 4 color - watermelon stinger
1 on 2 color - steelie stomper
1 on 3 color - nascar or some crap...
Big guy on 8 color - green dolphin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fished out of Pentwater this morning, left in the dark of night with rain and fog.
Set up lines south of the river in 100' blue meat rig took a sea monster for thirty seconds before we broke the line 🙄 lost three more before landing our first fish. After that we dialed in on them. Kevin's girlfriend meat rig took four fish on dypsies. Moonshine wonder bread took two and then several spoons from mad moo tackle took the rest in either blue or a green blue mix.
Stupid foggy this morning, didn't burn off until almost one. We're at ten for thirteen now and not coming in until we limit 👊
Also watch for floating debris.... Took this eight foot board with nails and it hooked one rigger and spun around catching the other rigger with my probe 🤬 able to clear the lines and apprehend the board.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice report, good luck out there. Pretty sure I saw you on 131 yesterday between ludington and Pentwater as I was heading back north from work. I was curious which port that nice boat was heading to.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Great report and great job dealing with the headaches. Keep that board in case you're ever in an alley fight. We just left Ludville after a week of fishing. Thought about heading south to PW but I got a slip at the Muni Marina and decided to stay local. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fished out of Pentwater yesterday, day two...
Bite started fast and hot, didn't get lines all in and we had three in the boat already.
Completely different program though, no meat rigs went, all magnum Moonshines took fish with a wonder bread with a blue shadow border working the best.
250&300 weighted steel went best with riggers being a close second, dypsies only took one fish and we lost it.
Ended up great start in the morning working the shelf trolling south, then pea soup fog set in, hate fishing in that, we had a scary close call with a boat called the punisher, both boats did an evasive 90 °left turn 😳 but avoided anything bad happening.
After we trolled out west in 200' picked up four more nice mid teen kings and then the wind switched and literally kicked our butts going back north.
We pulled lines with eleven fish in the box threw back two and lost five 🤷‍♂️. Literally had to drive at 7mph all the way back to Pentwater, took almost two hours, but we made it back.
What a great weekend to be a salmon fisherman 👌 one more day on the water before we have to get back to work.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Great report and photos. Glad no accidents in the fog. I draw a pretty hard line about fishing in fog - I don’t do it .

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Thanks for the awesome report. Yeah, even the thought of fishing in fog and the close call you described kind of freaks me out. Glad you all stayed safe. Sounds like your program for the two days was spot on. Nice job.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fished out of Whitehall Sunday evening and Monday morning. Sunday went 3-4 on kings one on a dipsey with Kevin girlfriend sd with pickle sunshine meat rig then second one was on 200 copper regular size bloody nose rv series and green jeans mag rv moonshine. Fished 160-200 fow.
Monday went 11-15 mix bag of kings coho and steelhead. Same depths 40-60 foot down. Green jeans was Hott taking 5 hits on rigger down 57 then 200 copper with same bloody nose and carbon 14 on 225 copper took a few fish. Raspberry carbon took 2 hits landed one on a 150 copper. Threw one shaker king back too. This pic was yesterday catch. Biggest king from Sunday was just under 23 pounds
IMG_2660.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What did the steelhead weigh then? Its a duke.

Also on a side note, I would say my big chinooks have been 50/50 for wild and hatchery, I see yours is wild.

We have been getting LOTS of 2# to 4# chinooks that have all been wild. Should be a good chinook fishery the next few years......

1 - 20 of 54 Posts