Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to get away to the White this weekend... for the whole weekend.
Any info as to where I could "camp" with my truck would help a great deal. Please pm me with details if you would.
Really need to fly fish since this is the first time this year! I know.... I just got out from under my rock! lol

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Pines Point is a beautiful US Forest owned campground. Really, really nice, quiet and lots of spots to wander.

As far as fly fishing for trout this time of year, I tend to have better luck above Hesperia, though. Within 20 minutes drive of Pines Point there are some very good access spots.

This time of year I prefer the White above White Cloud. It's tougher to fly fish, but the water is very cold and the fishing can be great.

There is an access on M20 which is a popular State of Michigan roadside park. The better trout fishing in my experience tends to be downstream from the bridge.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
You could always just fish spinners and double or triple your catch and be able to bring some good eats home to the table. Yum yum!!

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Big Reds, the river looks like chocolate milk today. I was going to fish after an appointment in Hesperia but too brown for dries. Should be in good shape this weekend unless we get another big storm. Good luck and please let us know how you do.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like to fish downstream. Pines point is a great campground and there is some nice holes around that area, but Taylor street bridge is a good area as well and there is plenty of room for fly fishing. The water may be a little high as we got tons of rain, but not sure yet heading out fishing tonight. The upper white would be more suited for spinner fishing as it is some tight fishing not the worst but tight.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just got back from the white. The water is very murky and a little bit high but not to bad. We didn't go out for very long, 4 hrs at most and didn't do very good one little brown and a whole lot of chubs. Between the kayakers and tubers splashing around in the holes, I'm not sure what was worse the chubs or them :). Good luck out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi -

Just joined the community today after stumbling upon this great site! I'm going to be within striking distance of the White this weekend and was wondering which sections would be a better bet for fly fishing - The North Branch, between Hesperia and White Cloud, or above White Cloud?

PM me any details, if you wish. I'll report back what I find, too!

Thanks,
OJ

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Hi -

Just joined the community today after stumbling upon this great site! I'm going to be within striking distance of the White this weekend and was wondering which sections would be a better bet for fly fishing - The North Branch, between Hesperia and White Cloud, or above White Cloud?

PM me any details, if you wish. I'll report back what I find, too!

Thanks,
OJ
north branch can be tight. upper is doable with a little patience and middle and lower are pretty easy for fly fishing. all have fish...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Yep the middle branch is open enough for tossing flies......raining a little at the moment........would be a good time right now.......:coolgleam

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spent a few of hours on the middle White Saturday morning (from 6 until about 9). It was my first time on the river and I'm still getting used to tossing flies in larger/flatter rivers (Most of my fly fishing up to now has been in the Rockies and usually of the pocket-water variety).

I spent some time in the river upstream of the Green Rd. bridge and was able to bring two browns to hand. Wading was tricky with the soft edges and there were lots of posted signs to stay off the banks.

Then, I went upriver to the Luce Rd. bridge and was happy to see some broken water and gravel! The area looked really fishy, and I noticed some empty bait tubs lying around (which I picked up). The sun was already higher on the water and I switched over from my size 12 Wooley Bugger to a nymphing rig to dredge the quicker/deeper chute and tail-out under the bridge. No luck. The water did feel pretty warm, so I think I might have been up there a little too late in the season given the hot and dry spring we've had. Ran out of time, but next time I'd like to try the upper river above White Cloud where the water is colder.

Thanks for the tips, guys! It was a fun morning on a beautiful river.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got the opportunity to post. I've been slammed with work! Residential builder slammed with work? Hardly seems possible! lol
Had a great time. Hooked into one of the biggest browns I've seen. Fought it for a few minutes. Big fish, tiny flies.... never lasts long usually. lol Quite a few fish in the 8-16" range.
Had a snapping turtle (13" or so) walk over my boot, a hen turkey with 3 youngins waiting for me on the trail and one grey owl in a tree to the left of my truck. I got pics from 12' away! The owl was so interested in me that when I went back over to the truck to have lunch, it swooped over to me 2' over my head and landed in a tree 10' from me!
What a rush this weekend was.
Post pics after I have time to download. Gotta go.
Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts