Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son (11 years old) has gotten the fishing itch last summer. I haven't had time until recently to dedicate to his new found passion. I used to love fishing as a kid but haven't really gone in over 25 years.

I know that panfish like Crappie, Blue Gill, Sunfish and Perch will give him the most fun at his age\ skill. He hasn't given up but every time we go out, we rarely catch anything. I've been focusing on the Municipal in Whitehall but so far have been unsuccessful.

I am a complete newbie and I admit it, I'll put aside my pride to help my son. Please advice on how to get him something in his bucket. If other lakes are better in the area let me know (Big Blue, Twin Lake, Duck Lake, Muskegon Lake). Only so much I can read and watch YouTube only to keep coming back empty handed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
when the weather starts to warm up, bring him to the muskegon channel on the south side. there is a little shallow inlet there right by the parking lot, cast in there with bobber and worm set up and you will usually catch all the little gills you want. nothing of any real size but still fun for the little ones to watch a bobber sink and every once in a while you might get the occasional pike, bass, or bowfin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I caught a ton of perch at municipal marina in early spring when I was a child, but otherwise never had much luck there. The old railroad trellis near Dog and Suds would be worth a try. I used to do pretty well at the White Lake Channel. Never caught a ton of fish, but never recall getting skunked and have caught a wide variety of fish there on both Whitehall and Montague sides. I suspect any of the other local lake channels would be worth a try if you do not have a boat.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Take him out to the White Lake pier (either side) and have him cast medium diving, fire tiger crankbaits...reel slow. For the next two weeks, make sure you’re out into Lake Michigan waters. You could get walleyes, coho, Browns, steelhead, smallies, etc.. My 8 yo nephew can’t fish for pannies anymore...he’s gotta catch “screamers”. In the summer, do the same so he can catch the poor mans permit (sheepshead). He’ll love it!! Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.