Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out this morning and fished White Lake in Muskegon county for the first time ever in search of Blue gill. Thanks to a few tips from a couple members here and some locals we were able to find some this morning. We anchored in about 16 FOW just west of the red buoy right along the drop off and fished with wax worms that we hung right above the bottom. From about 7AM to about 10:30 Am we had about near constant action and we had a blast. Kept enough to make a meal and tossed the rest. Size was mixed about medium and small with a nice 16" Small mouth (really fun on ultra light tackle!) and a handful of white perch mixed in as well. Thanks again to the members here that helped me out, hope to run into you guys sometime!

·
Retired
3,347 Posts
Nice report.

I didn't offer anything in the thread you started, but I did try to search google images for a map of the lake.

I ran into the same problems that Ranger Ray mentioned, and that was purchasing maps.

It's nice to see when a member asks for information, receives helpful information, and posts a report regardless of success.

Nicely done! :woohoo1:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice report.

I didn't offer anything in the thread you started, but I did try to search google images for a map of the lake.

I ran into the same problems that Ranger Ray mentioned, and that was purchasing maps.

It's nice to see when a member asks for information, receives helpful information, and posts a report regardless of success.

Nicely done! :woohoo1:
Thank you! Im happy to pass along information the same way others have done for me.

By the way another member did find a free contour map and linked it in my other thread, http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14935.shtml

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok so in my original post I stated that we caught a handful of white perch, now Im not so sure what they were. I took a pic of one because I had never seen this particular fish before and looked it up when I got home and from the pics on Google it looked like pics of white perch. Well today on the DNR website they had a pic of a white bass that looked the same, so which is it a white perch or a white bass? An even better question is are they good to eat? ha ha

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Excellent reports and pic's,,, the comedic value in the cooking portion of the pic's are priceless...:lol:

Pay special attention to where he's cooking the fish...

Then you'll notice the "special dish towels" that are used for cleaning up the batter mess...

What brings all this together is the beer coozy...

I just can't stop laughin',,, just struck me funny is all... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Nice report im glad you got into some fish. Like i said hit me up come winter and we can get em thru the ice. I love the can coozy to lol.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent reports and pic's,,, the comedic value in the cooking portion of the pic's are priceless...:lol:

Pay special attention to where he's cooking the fish...

Then you'll notice the "special dish towels" that are used for cleaning up the batter mess...

What brings all this together is the beer coozy...

I just can't stop laughin',,, just struck me funny is all... :lol: :lol:
Ha ha thanks, yeah my old socks work great as garage rags. I hate frying in the house so my fryer lives in the garage, keeps the stink out! lol

Nice report im glad you got into some fish. Like i said hit me up come winter and we can get em thru the ice. I love the can coozy to lol.
Yeah I hope to take you up on that, Ive been wanting to get back into ice fishing.

And you guys cant have my can coozy, its my favorite one! lol

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
Ok so in my original post I stated that we caught a handful of white perch, now Im not so sure what they were. I took a pic of one because I had never seen this particular fish before and looked it up when I got home and from the pics on Google it looked like pics of white perch. Well today on the DNR website they had a pic of a white bass that looked the same, so which is it a white perch or a white bass? An even better question is are they good to eat? ha ha

That is a White Perch. White bass and White Perch are in the same family of fishes, the temperate bass family.Below are some pics of the fish that are in this family.

Striped Bass

Yellow Bass

White Bass

White Perch

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a White Perch. White bass and White Perch are in the same family of fishes, the temperate bass family.Below are some pics of the fish that are in this family.

Striped Bass

Yellow Bass

White Bass

White Perch
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. They do look alot alike but side be side its easy to see the differences. The one lateral line is a give away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts