Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the waterfowl digest about White Fronted Geese being included in the five Geese limit. I have heard of one person at Todd/Fennville Farm last fall but how numerous are they in West Michigan?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The only time I saw a flock of snows in michigan was very, very late in the year. Probably around Jan or Feb. I feel like we just get the confused ones lol
See quite a few flocks of high flying snow geese while deer hunting, maybe there was white fronteds.

Only seen snows land one time in Michigan. Muskamoot bay was iced over and thousands landed there.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
See quite a few flocks of high flying snow geese while deer hunting, maybe there was white fronteds.

Only seen snows land one time in Michigan. Muskamoot bay was iced over and thousands landed there.
I wasnt paying very close attention to what i was reading, thought he had just said white geese. Never seen a specklebelly in MI that I know of.

·
Registered
999 Posts
In 2016 I saw a couple mixed in with regular Canada’s late in the season. Then I had a flock come in late at night. Fly over the house. They are loud and land on the lake. This was in Comstock Park, MI. I never seen one before and I haven’t seen one sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems odd to include them in the bag limit when it seems to be hit or miss in seeing any at all. What is the strategy in it. If they were widespread and increasing like the central and missippi flyways, but Michigan is off the grid. We feed the eastern and missippi.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I know MintGreen Mike got some last year. Check his posts he posted pictures.
I see in the waterfowl digest about White Fronted Geese being included in the five Geese limit. I have heard of one person at Todd/Fennville Farm last fall but how numerous are they in West Michigan?

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
There once was a time, not all that long ago, when you would never see a Canada Goose in Michigan. During that same time frame seeing large flocks of migrating snows in mid November was the norm.

My brother, and I, shot 3 snow geese, in the Pointe Mouillee marsh, in early November of 1969

·
Registered
563 Posts
I talked to a guy on the west side last year that said his group intentionally hunted specks over there. Said changing that bag limit was one of the best things that had happened for them. My guess is there's some little pockets that show up and those guys leaned on DNR/CWAC to make their lives easier.
Like DS said, it wasn't too long ago Canadas were rare. Things change all the time, maybe we'll be regularly shooting specs soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
We shoot 250+ geese a year and have yet to shoot a snow or a spec. Came close a couple times. We see a handful of snows a year, usually high flyers. Only had one spec come through our spread a few years ago during late season, thing wouldn’t get any closer than 60 yards. One of my hunting buddies shot a spec in the late 90’s and I hear of a few guys getting them here and there. So when it comes to white front geese, it’s rare to shoot one here in Michigan. Not saying it’s impossible but definitely a rarity.

Couple years ago we did have a bunch of specs come thru south east Michigan. Had a couple hundred roost by one of our blinds a couple nights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.