Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do the start fishin for white bass. I have never doen it but want to give it a try this year.

flydunker

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The white bass will start running when the water temp inches up towards the 53-55 degree range and will peak when it hits the 58-60 mark...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Connor4501 said:
The white bass will start running when the water temp inches up towards the 53-55 degree range and will peak when it hits the 58-60 mark...
im new to northern fishing. whats a white bass? ive always cought smalls annd largemouths. but ive cought some here last year and this year that are clearly of the bass family. but are flatter than a smallmouth. is this a white bass?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
White Bass are shaped like a Crappie - silver/ with Striped Bass type markings on thier sides. LOTS of fun to catch ! C-man

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
white bass look like little striped bass (or stripers). wipers are actually crosses between striped bass and white bass.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ykturtle1975 said:
im new to northern fishing. whats a white bass? ive always cought smalls annd largemouths. but ive cought some here last year and this year that are clearly of the bass family. but are flatter than a smallmouth. is this a white bass?
A white bass is a true bass, like a stripper. The fish we call black bass (largemouth or smallmouth) are a sunfish.

bentrod

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Man those guys are fun to fish for. Can be non stop action on just about any bait. Does anyone eat them. I tried them, and my family ate them and liked them as good as walleye!

·
Registered
41 Posts
aquaticsanonymous said:
Man those guys are fun to fish for. Can be non stop action on just about any bait. Does anyone eat them. I tried them, and my family ate them and liked them as good as walleye!
Where do you guys go white bass fishing?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Detroit river is great in the next couple of weeks. And the Huron river can be great also in mid to late may.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not big on the taste of white bass (way too muddy for my palate, even after considerable skinning and trimming), but I've heard some of the black dudes down on the river banks will sometimes buy them. Not sure if this is true or not. I do know that you can buy them occasionally at various fish counters because the Canadian commercial guys net a few, although they never take their quota because demand is very low. I don't think they sell in the stores. Folks buy them because the price is low, but rarely make a second purchase.

Walleye is a much better food fish if you can get onto them, which is not a problem in the Detroit area from now through fall.

·
Registered
68 Posts
some guys were pulling in a few white bass down on the maumee this weekend, sounds like by next weekend they should start rolling in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bentrod said:
A white bass is a true bass, like a stripper. The fish we call black bass (largemouth or smallmouth) are a sunfish.

bentrod
thanks alot guys i appreciate it. i never get any feedback on misportsman. i guess im not on here enough to be known. so i really appreciate it. from the pics and descriptions i believe they were whites i was catchin. pretty fun to catch too. i cant wait to get onto those walleyes. man i cought my first ones last year, and they were great eats.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
we went perch fishing from shore on the saginaw river over the weekend and caught around 10 white bass on our perch rigs.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
ykturtle1975 said:
thanks alot guys i appreciate it. i never get any feedback on misportsman. i guess im not on here enough to be known. so i really appreciate it. from the pics and descriptions i believe they were whites i was catchin. pretty fun to catch too. i cant wait to get onto those walleyes. man i cought my first ones last year, and they were great eats.
Fill out your public profile a bit and you'll get more responses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
waterfoul said:
Fill out your public profile a bit and you'll get more responses.
thanks alot for the info. i didnt know i had a profile to fill out. i subscribed to this last year and moved for 4 months to new york and didnt have alot of access to the net. so i didnt remember about the profile. anyway many thanks to you again.:D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I like to eat them, as long as they are fresh and never been frozen. I had a bag that was frozen one time, and they tasted like crap, and were mushy. If I take any home, they get cleaned up and fried that afternoon, and never had a bad one that way.

I have never actually fished for them on the rivers like they do. I always just catch a dozen or so while trolling for the eyes in the summer. Maybe I should take a trip and grab a bunch in the next few weeks.

How about it Ryguy? Want to teach me something new?

Captain Jay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts