Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whit.....I posted the thread on Mad Cows & Wasted Deer. The thread you stopped.

Having a thread I started closed by a Moderator doesn't bunch up my Haines'. Honest, Whit, I'm not hyperventilating over it.

But, I'd propose an alternative to outright closing of a thread.

And that would be to use your blue pencil (or kill box) on "posters" not "threads".

If a poster is disagreeable in his disagreements then killing his post is appropriate. That action alone serves to police the thread to maintain civility. But more importantly, it allows the topic of the thread to remain so the civilized among us can continue to explore the nuances of the issue.

I think we all appreciate forum debates. And I think we all have seen how some spiral down to silly hissyfits. But, thats where our "Moderators" should 'moderate' the tone & content of the posts. Not kill the debate itself.

Other than that, I'm pretty neutral on it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I agree with you. I found that thread and the one about deer processing places and their numbers to be very interesting. Both were shut down do to a couple poster. Why ruin it for the ones who know how to ignore the trouble makers could we just stitch up the finger and not cut off the arm. Just my thoughts.;)

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
More often than not posts are edited or deleted to keep a thread and usually the only one who knows is the moderator plus the original poster who is notified via a PM. Sometimes threads start getting out of hand and closing them is the only thing to keep them from going down hill any further.

I didn't see the thread in question but most threads are discussed by all or most of the moderators before closing them. No one moderator makes a unilateral decision here other than Steve - and he rarely gets involved until the moderators bring the threads to his attention or asks how he wishes for it to be handled.

I appreciate you bringing this matter up in a tactful tone that has been lacking on many threads as of late. I've attributed most of the argumentative threads being closed lately to a lack of something to do (deer season ending, no snow for good bunny hunts and no ice) and members are slightly relestless. There are many good points that have been getting lost in some of bickering.

I, and I'm sure all the moderators, take this only as constructive criticism. I just thought you should know that we would rather edit or delete a few posts rather than close a thread. Many times the closed threads re-appear a few days later in a new post. I've seen where sometimes folks just need a short break to let cooler heads prevail and get back on track to what the origin of the post was meant to be.

I can't speak for Whit or the others who took action on the thread in question since I didn't get involved with it (since I didn't follow the thread) but suspect one of the above took place.

Thanks......:)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
FF,
Thanks for your comments.

I closed the thread because to delete the posts that went over the edge would have taken quite a bit of the discussion away. Closing the thread also sends a message to the members that they can readily see. The vast majority of members don't realize when a post(s) have been deleted. By closing the thread a clear message is sent that cannot be mistaken. That is one of the main values of closing the thread.

Sometimes closing a thread is also done to, quite simply, save time. Rather than deleting a post(s) and having to PM those whose comments were deleted, it is faster to merely close the enitre thread.

Generally the closing of a thread is not a reflection on the member who started the discussion, but rather on those who allow their egos to overlap good judgement.

When a thread sinks into a tit for tat commentary between several participants, or when it has obviously run its course, it will be closed. The message that such a closing delivers can be seen by all who participated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts