Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out last night around 7:30 and stayed until 10:30. Thought we would be plenty early but there was already a boat in the area we planned on fishing and we didn't want to crowd them so went to plan "B". My brother picked up one around 8:30 but that was it so we moved again. Managed to pick up another 6 fish there over the next hour. Most of them came on a black and silver ladder back plug.

The funky thing was my brother hooked into a fish and got him to the back of the boat but due to the wind and current he got under the boat and got off. Well when he pulled in his line the fish had pulled the end hook off his front plug!! Taking all the other lures with him.:yikes: He was shining his flashlight down river and we thought he saw them floating away. He tells me we are going to pull up anchor and go after them so I start bringing in my line......BAM! Fish on. I tell him "fish" and start to bring it in. As it gets closer I see I have quite the cluster going on with my line.:dizzy: Low and behold I had snagged his line that had the hook from his plug still in the fishes mouth along with the rest of his lures attached. Talk about a happy ending to the story. Didn't end up loosing a thing. His plug had cracked right down the center and it allowed the end hook to pull out. One of the craziest things I've seen. We ended up with 7 fish total between 2 and 3 lbs.

My question is...........should that fish be considered foul hooked?

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
good job deepwoods funny story, it seems like anything can happen out there.. Yes when it comes time to get to your whipping spot some times you have to get there early no doubt about that been there done that.. All I can say about the foul hooked question is fishing is kinda like Vegas what happens in the boat stays in the boat:lol: Cya Slick

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Last year I caught a walleye with my anchor. We were fishing for a couple of hours and all of a sudden lost anchor for no reason. After pulling it up, I had a live fish with a pencil plug in it's mouth with the leader wrapped up in my anchor. There wasn't even anyone fishing up river from us.

I've also broken off a set of plugs and caught them later that night.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sounds like a good spot. It sounds like the fish that got away went right back to the same area you orginially got him. Must be a nice little walleye hangout there.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dialtone said:
Sounds like a good spot. It sounds like the fish that got away went right back to the same area you orginially got him. Must be a nice little walleye hangout there.
It's now marked on the GPS as plan "B".

·
Registered
993 Posts
We had a similar experience on Lake Michigan with salmon last summer. Fish broke off and a couple minutes later another rod goes off and we end up with the fish and the "lost" bait. He hit another spoon with one hanging out of his mouth.

They DO keep us guessing.

Nice job on the fish!

·
Registered
171 Posts
that's funny stuff! last year we were fishing in the flats for perch around weed beds. using light tackle, slip bobbers, tear drops and minnies. buddy hooked what he thought was a small bass. line broke, 2lb test. 30 seconds later my bobber goes down, get the fish in and it's a 13.5" perch with the tear drop still in its mouth! was on the board at lakeside for 2 weeks, then got knocked off, skinny fish, under 1lb.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Joe I used to step on Colin's lures in the dark. Never split them. Did knock a lip or two off em. Funny though I never stepped on mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thats great!me and my buddy and uncle were out sunday night in marysville,got 4,lost my brand new okuma reel and new whiping rod,lets just say it was all my fault,pulled line up,put rod in holder,sinker was just out of water,plugs floating back on the drivers side of the boat about 15ft for the first ,30 for the last,decided we were just a tad off our honey hole,so we made a slight adjustment,looking ahead at my buddy trying to reset the anchor, the back of the boat wasnt where i thought it was,when i put it in reverse the wash sucked the front lure into the prop,looked over my sholder and just got to see my pole launch like a rocket out of the boat and into the blue depths of the river,it still had the dang sticker on the rod,and just that day had 150yds of fireline put on:yikes: ,from this point foward i will never,ever leave a line in the water for any move no matter how slow the speed is!green horn of the year award go's to your's truly!ps got the line out of prop and all lures intact,just wish the darn reel and rod was still on the line ,but no,prop cut the line,after that tried like hell to catch something that didnt have a head shake, to no evail.:(

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I don't beleive that fish is foul hooked.
Snagged would meen in the fishes body other than its mouth.
Snagging other fishing gear would not count.

great story. Trolling for salmon last year we had a rod fall out the rod holder into the water. We thought it was gone until we realed in the outside rigger almost an hour later and the line was wrapped around the cable with the pole on one end and the lre on the othe

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lil' Tanker said:
I don't beleive that fish is foul hooked.
Snagged would meen in the fishes body other than its mouth.
Snagging other fishing gear would not count.
Thats what we thought although my brother did tell me he was going to turn me in for fishing to many plugs because I pulled in so many on my line.:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts