Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried whipping in the SCR last season and went home empty handed every weekend. Tried everything you posted, and even made sure I was in the 19-22ft depth range. I did not have pencil plugs, but did have the rapallas everyone recommended. What could I have done wrong?
I am using a homemade whiping stick about 3-4ft long, and set my lure out with a 2oz. weight on the bottom. Always watched many boaters around me pulling in fish but no luck.
Any help would be appreciated, I even suprised a few people to find out that I was out every weekend in April, May, and June with NO fish...:sad: :sad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
something was wrong if you didnt catch fish last year, and it sounds like it is going to be a good year this year too. Cant say what you are doin wrong, just dont quit trying!

·
Registered
693 Posts
All that time on the water fishing and not one fish to show for your efforts! Check the lures and make sure there are hooks on them. I like the 17' to 21' range, but to each his own. Are you running your lures piggyback or stacking them? The dropper to the sinker, is it at least 18"s from the threeway swivel? Most important of all, do you have your left thumb stuck in your right ear while whistling the theme song to Michigan Out Of Doors:lol: . I'm going out tonight to give it a try, but I think it might be a little to early yet for the good bite..................Bob B.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The most important thing is are you feeling the bottom with the amount of weight you are using?And the dropper off the swivel I usually go anywhere from 12"-18".All I can say is keep going to the well you are bound to hit water.Goodluck:D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Line counter really do help, but I also use 3 oz sinker, but I don't that matters... I run 6' pencil, 6' pencil, 12' body bait..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Get some pencil plugs.you cant run three body baits in a row.Thats all i can think of you doing wrong.whip youre lures dont just send them back you have to work them in the current.also try to target some structure you have the depth but look for a incline or rocks behind you were youre plugs are gonne be.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fished last night, marked a lot of fish but their not biting yet. At least not at night where I was anyway... :sad: .............Bob B.
Water temp was 41.3.. Any day now though. I think?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I went out on Friday night and got the skunk. We had a few small hits and lost one due to a broken leader.

Going back to the original post...when my leader broke I knew what happened right away because I could feel a difference. If you're not feeling the plugs pull through the water then it's going to be tough to feel a fish hit. Maybe that's part of your problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I started whipping last year and I had the same problem, no fish. I was using 6' lead with a Pencil plug, 9' lead with a pencil plug & 12' lead with a Rapala. This is what I was doing wrong. When you whip and the current starts to pull your lures back keep your line tight. if you let it go back with no tension on it you will never feel the bite.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I just use 3 6' leaders and 3 oz of lead. Its more being in the right spot and depth. Somtimes one side of the boat gets all the fish. Where on the river where you trying?

·
Registered
104 Posts
here's what i use and had good luck with, a 3oz triangle sinker, 4' lead pencil plug, 6' lead pencil plug and a 6' lead with either a plug or a rapala, i use three plugs and my brother uses 2 plugs and a #9 rapala hot steel. we also try to whip fast if that doesn't work we try it slow, until we see what works. in the spring time you want to be in the 30-35 fow. in the summer time 25 fow work well for me. Also after 15mins i'll change my plugs to a different color. one more thing also wash your hands before handling your bait. hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a line counter and put out about 80-100 feet.
I have the rapalas piggybacked, and tied onto each in fronts last hook position. I also spaced them about 6ft apart.
Thanks for the PM biggins and slopoke, maybe we could get together sometime. I'll PM you guys to see when this could hapen. I have a 16ft Mirrocraft with a 25hp outboard, but no trolling motor for jigging, this is why I have started whipping first, because I can just anchor for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a line counter and put out about 80-100 feet.
I have the rapalas piggybacked, and tied onto each in fronts last hook position. I also spaced them about 6ft apart.
Thanks for the PM biggins and slopoke, maybe we could get together sometime. I'll PM you guys to see when this could hapen. I have a 16ft Mirrocraft with a 25hp outboard, but no trolling motor for jigging, this is why I have started whipping first, because I can just anchor for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts