Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started tying eggs for salmon season and I'm struggling with the whip finish tool. Any tips?

·
Registered
640 Posts
For years I just used the two-finger method. Someone had shown that to me, and it's really handy. Finally, I decided to learn the whip finisher. So, I went to YOU TUBE, and found a video demonstrating the Whip Finish tool. I watched it "stop and go" for three or four times, with my vice and tool in front of me. VOILA, I learned it! It worked for me. Might work for you. Now there are times I use the two finger method, and for smaller flies, I pull out the whip finish too. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I used a whip finish tool for 30 years.
Now I have switched to the Rite Bobbin Mag bobbin.
It has a tapered barrel so you can easily throw on a whip finish or half hitch without an additional tool

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am also new to tying and I also had problems learning to whip finnish, but You Tube put me in the right direction. I now use what ever is best suited for the size Fly I'm tying. I even use a ball point pen . Try going to You Tube and put in ( How to whip finish a Fly?). I think they will help you..

Migabby

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
you got a half hitch tool or a ball point pen. instead of doing it one half hitch warp it several times like 4-8 times. then slide it off on to the eye of the hook. learned this from wathcing cris helm video's

·
Registered
893 Posts
I found a site that shows pictures of each step using the matarelli style tool.

The key to learn is to take a bare hook and tie on 30 or so on the shank. That's how you learn. Then just apply that on your fly.

I'm going to invest in one of the Rite bobbins. If you can adjust tension that sounds like a great thing. Especially with smaller threads. Seems to me like the different brands have different tensions.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I found a site that shows pictures of each step using the matarelli style tool.

The key to learn is to take a bare hook and tie on 30 or so on the shank. That's how you learn. Then just apply that on your fly.

I'm going to invest in one of the Rite bobbins. If you can adjust tension that sounds like a great thing. Especially with smaller threads. Seems to me like the different brands have different tensions.

some thread have like .25 once for trico 17/0 i think break strength ware like gsp thread has a 4.3 pound break strength i think just useing it as a exaples. there is a site with list of break strength of thread if wondeing it would take me for every to find it cause i do not know ware it is lol's. i use a rite stanard bobbin and it does help all but for trio 17/0 and 10/0 midge web thread from uni. i bought a midge bobbin from renzetti for this thread case it has teflon thread roller guides for the bobbin. i will have to do either a video or some thing on half hitches as whip finishes. othjer then that it works great with a pen with out the writeing tube in it like a bic round tube lol's.

any ways best of luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. I watched and practiced and I have figured out my problem. I wasn't wrapping the hook, I was just rotating the tool so I wasn't doing anything. I appreciate all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts