Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm contemplating graduate school in a year and a half. I'm hoping to head way south to swap snow and nerds for some sun and ladies. My question: which states down south have the best duck hunting? I'm talking about the kind of hunting that a broke college kid could do, not big sea raft chasing. Has anyone hunted Arkansas?

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
louisianna.....small canoe/boat and paddle along with dozen or so deeks.....heaven. Can't vouch for the bayou area tho cuz of the hurricanes.....heard they pretty much wiped my hunting spot down there. I hunted the point aux chein refuge.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Arkansas has good hunting and for $2000 a year you can be a member of a club and get some consistant shooting, and get to know some great people.

·
Registered
121 Posts
one word ----- OKLAHOMA --- I lived there for 7 years. You have 5 Different colleges to choose from in the Oklahoma City Area alone and better yet.. I could give you maps to all the public land since I ain't using them anymore. PM me and we'll chat. No boat needed not even a dog in most areas.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Im sure the college kids don't have an extra 2 grand. That rules out Ark. I agree Louisianna is probably the place to go. As far as costing as little as possiable. From what I've heard, don't use a spotlight or a q-beam. Also don't breast out your birds they think its a waste and might get upset with you. Just what I have heard. ( Haven't actually been there myself.)

Kevlar

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Kevlar said:
Im sure the college kids don't have an extra 2 grand. That rules out Ark. I agree Louisianna is probably the place to go. As far as costing as little as possiable. From what I've heard, don't use a spotlight or a q-beam. Also don't breast out your birds they think its a waste and might get upset with you. Just what I have heard. ( Haven't actually been there myself.)

Kevlar
hehe, they are some funny people down there. little story.

about the 3rd day into my hunt down there, one of the guys that lives on the bayou ran outa shells and i offered him a box of 3" steels that i had in my case. He looks at the box and just shakes his head and says "you expect me to kill ducks with those?" lol. He was 100% cajun and from the looks of the spent casings in his perogue (boat) he favored the 2-3/4" short brass type.

lates season hunting is nice down there because most of the cajuns don't hunt much after the first 3 weeks of season....so all the private marsh's are pretty much wide open. Just be careful your not hunting someone private "baited" blind. lol. good luck.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Kid,

I don't know what part of the state my buddy went to but he hunted on his own the first day. Met a guy he calls "cajan berry" this guy took him around and showed him some good spots. My buddy comes in with 4 mallards, 2 gaddies and a coot he took for target pratice. He said there were 3 cajuns ready to fist fight over the coot. They are the most prefered bird down there. They make a gumbo out of them. The one cajun opened his blind bag and seen he had 16 shells left and asked him what he came back in for???? :)

I'm sure its the same where you were kid, the cajuns don't conform to any hunting laws or fishing laws. PERIOD. They told my buddy, we don't accept any federal assistant or any state funded programs. We eat our ducks and catfish. Its our lively hood. Old Cajun told him the only people who use Q-Beams around here are the Feds and we shoot at ALL Q-beams we see.

Kevlar

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Kevlar said:
Kid,

I don't know what part of the state my buddy went to but he hunted on his own the first day. Met a guy he calls "cajan berry" this guy took him around and showed him some good spots. My buddy comes in with 4 mallards, 2 gaddies and a coot he took for target pratice. He said there were 3 cajuns ready to fist fight over the coot. They are the most prefered bird down there. They make a gumbo out of them. The one cajun opened his blind bag and seen he had 16 shells left and asked him what he came back in for???? :)

I'm sure its the same where you were kid, the cajuns don't conform to any hunting laws or fishing laws. PERIOD. They told my buddy, we don't accept any federal assistant or any state funded programs. We eat our ducks and catfish. Its our lively hood. Old Cajun told him the only people who use Q-Beams around here are the Feds and we shoot at ALL Q-beams we see.

Kevlar
hehe, when did he go down there, cuz the guy i hunted with...his name was Barry! He told me stories about the coot shoots....cuz the wintering population there is like in the 100k+ range. They would load up the pug boat (wierd boat with briggs under seat w/ straight shaft prop out the bottom) and put 3 gunners on the front...driving through flocks and unloading. Them cajuns just love'm, like you said, gumbo stew. Every day i came in I had 2 old cajuns following me around wanting my ducks. lol.

So as far as topic goes....I've hunted in a few states now and by far the 2 best states for hunting waterfowl at a low level of difficulty are the bayou's and north dakota....was pretty simple there too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good one Kevlar ! I miss that state something fierce. 74 days of Waterfowl season and man it wasa great. Now would be peak time and we'd be gearing up for a christmas eve hunt in the A.M. Michigan Waterfowl hunting really sucks (for ducks)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Waser Hund said:
Michigan Waterfowl hunting really sucks (for ducks)
Yep. Head west young man!!! Go some place proper that has 107 day seasons and 7 ducks a day limit.

Think about that for a second. Would you rather hunt a 6th of the year or almost a 1/3rd???

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
..I've hunted in a few states now and by far the 2 best states for hunting waterfowl at a low level of difficulty are the bayou's and north dakota....was pretty simple there too.
Now kid, quit tellin' all these fine people that there are ducks in ND. Everyone knows there isn't a duck to be had in that entire state. You meant SOUTH Dakota, right ;) Yep, they pass right over from Canada and head to S. Dakota...everyone knows that...yeah, that's the place, South Dakota...everyone should go there....South Dakota..... :mischeif:

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
just ducky said:
Now kid, quit tellin' all these fine people that there are ducks in ND. Everyone knows there isn't a duck to be had in that entire state. You meant SOUTH Dakota, right ;) Yep, they pass right over from Canada and head to S. Dakota...everyone knows that...yeah, that's the place, South Dakota...everyone should go there....South Dakota..... :mischeif:
hey now! i never said their was ducks there.....just said it was an easy hunt. :tdo12:

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Drive I90 and youll see all the roosters near Mitchell......forget ducks!
Then again on the way to Montana one cant possibly drive US-2 and NOT see all the ducks sitting along the hwy. Too easy.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Huntsman27 said:
Drive I90 and youll see all the roosters near Mitchell......forget ducks!
Then again on the way to Montana one cant possibly drive US-2 and NOT see all the ducks sitting along the hwy. Too easy.
did that drive in december a few years ago....every creek, river, stream was loaded. Did some snowmobiling around the park (southwest side) and every stream was loaded there too. Of course this was after stopping in gregory, SD to shoot the crap outa the pheasants. great combo trip.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I was almost driving off the road staring at all those roosters!! Then ND the same thing with ducks....Its pretty cool out there. Cant wait for Spring to go again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts