Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Smells like, Victory!
28,459 Posts
My #1 for almost 2 decades View attachment 849128
All I used to use until they came out with the magnetic anti reverse. They may have fixed it now, don't know, but moved on to Shimano because of it. Nothing worse than setting hook on steelhead and the reel free spooling into a nest. Shame too, because they had one of the best drags made at the time.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I probable would not fish if I could not use
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

my Daiwa Leobritz S 500 J Truly awesome technology.
Have six E reels Just love'em

Hal

·
Registered
110 Posts
All I used to use until they came out with the magnetic anti reverse. They may have fixed it now, don't know, but moved on to Shimano because of it. Nothing worse than setting hook on steelhead and the reel free spooling into a nest. Shame too, because they had one of the best drags made at the time.
They used a magnetic bail trip, not anti-reverse. They were marketed as part of their "Performance Tuned" line of reels. Their Hot Sauce lubrication caused the roller bearing to fail in cold weather, causing the bail to "free wheel". The Icon used a magnetic bail as well. It was not part of the Performance Tuned line, so it used a conventional lubrication. I have 3 of them that have only been used as ice fishing reels. None of them ever free wheeled. Those $50 Icons weren't the Swiss watch that the $130 Energy was in warm weather, but they were a high-end Timex in cold weather.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They used a magnetic bail trip, not anti-reverse. They were marketed as part of their "Performance Tuned" line of reels. Their Hot Sauce lubrication caused the roller bearing to fail in cold weather, causing the bail to "free wheel". The Icon used a magnetic bail as well. It was not part of the Performance Tuned line, so it used a conventional lubrication. I have 3 of them that have only been used as ice fishing reels. None of them ever free wheeled. Those $50 Icons weren't the Swiss watch that the $130 Energy was in warm weather, but they were a high-end Timex in cold weather.
I wanna say I bought mine around 2005, never ice fished with it being the size 40.

·
Super Moderator
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The Shimano Symetre FJ was the best spinning reel for the dollar ever made, IMO. They were $99 when they were still being made (I think around 12 years ago). You would have to spend over $300 today to get the performance of that $99 reel.
The Symetre is still alive, they just changed the name to NASCI. Kind of like how the Stradic was renamed Vanford with minor changes. Still $99 too! Shimano NASCI FC Spinning Reel - Tackle Warehouse

·
Registered
110 Posts
Today's $99 Shimano isn't half the reel of the Symetre FJ. The frame on the FJ was non-flexing aluminum and it also had an oiling port. The flex in graphite frames just drive me nuts. I keep reaching down to tighten the reel seat nut because it feels like the reel is coming loose. Magnesium and aluminum are far superior to carbon and graphite for spinning reel frames. Shimano's marketing tried to say other wise. If you look, they never used graphite or carbon frames on their flagship Stella. There's a good reason for that.

·
Super Moderator
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Magnesium and aluminum are far superior to carbon and graphite for spinning reel frames.
That was true many years ago but not so much today. Shimano Ci4+ and Daiwa Zaion are both carbon composite materials used on all of their higher end stuff, much of that for inshore saltwater fishing. These materials are now used more in high end reels because aluminum and magnesium aren't saltwater friendly once something scuffs the surface finish. As long as your drag is properly set, you shouldn't have frame flex regardless of material.

·
Registered
934 Posts
That was true many years ago but not so much today. Shimano Ci4+ and Daiwa Zaion are both carbon composite materials used on all of their higher end stuff, much of that for inshore saltwater fishing. These materials are now used more in high end reels because aluminum and magnesium aren't saltwater friendly once something scuffs the surface finish. As long as your drag is properly set, you shouldn't have frame flex regardless of material.
Yep, that aluminum and or magnesium material slowly becomes chalk when exposed to salt water - esp where dissimilar metals meet each other. Anodize helps, but it degrades over time. I can't prove it, but I believe sun also breaks down anodize over time. The graphite (carbon) materials don't seem to care about any of that. Even though we live in a "fresh water" fishery here in the great state of Michigan, it's not salt-free. Basically all water you see in the wild has some dissolved salts, and so does the well or the tap. Rinsing helps, but we're never really "salt free".

61 - 73 of 73 Posts