Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
I agree with John. I would like to add that pound for pound, I think the best fighting freshwater fish would be a sunfish/pumpkinseed.;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Flathead catfish for just plain power.
Steelhead for acrobates.
King for big runs.
A river smallmouth is the best all around fighter. Pound for pound.

Never caught a coho.

Weakest fight....Largemouth bass. There like reeling in a wet bag.

Undertow

·
Registered
337 Posts
:yeahthat:
I agree with king, but I want to add, Saltwater fish kick the crap out of freshwater fish.
A 5# sea trout has twice the fight of any steelhead, and you would'nt want to reel in 2 salmon-sized jacks in the same day. They'll put a charlie-horse on your rod arm.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Steelhead are jumpers for sure
Kings, fresh, can be unlandable.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
depends what your lookin for the tug or the show. i think brunettes get my vote... wait your talkin fish.. steelies!

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,632 Posts
Pound for pound? Had some fall steelies take me to school before with short bursts and rapid directional changes both horizontal and vertical. I gotta stick with the steelhead pound for pound. Hard to beat either in double digits though.
Now a king can take some very hard sustaining runs. I figure hanging on is easier than trying to keep up with the trouts acrobatic skills.
The last king I hooked was almost 17 pounds and fought harder than anything I had on in recent years and even broke the lure I was using, but the last memorable fight before this was a 10 pound hen steelie in November. About lost my rod when it hit.
Here is the lure that king broke, only the eyes and bill were showing when netted.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Heres my take, not that anyone asked:D

A fresh king will definately kick your butt. Having said that, it was once described to me this way:

A fighting king is sorta like a nascar, a lot of power but not the brute speed, a steelhead on the other hand, is like a Formula 1 car, lots of power, and speed as well. Had em both kick my butt several times.

I'll tell ya though, whoever said a salt water fish will kick both their butts is right on. Ever hook a bonita that weighs about 10#'s before, you ain't seen nothing like it. All you can do is sit there and watch your line peel off the reel, unbelievable.

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
Heres my take, not that anyone asked:D

A fresh king will definately kick your butt. Having said that, it was once described to me this way:

A fighting king is sorta like a nascar, a lot of power but not the brute speed, a steelhead on the other hand, is like a Formula 1 car, lots of power, and speed as well. Had em both kick my butt several times.

I'll tell ya though, whoever said a salt water fish will kick both their butts is right on. Ever hook a bonita that weighs about 10#'s before, you ain't seen nothing like it. All you can do is sit there and watch your line peel off the reel, unbelievable.
Kings are strong. Steelies are unbelievably QUICK. Cohos are the best Salmonids in MI to eat, unless they are dying. But yes, Saltwater fish fight the hardest.
I remember fishing in Mexico, and I fought and landed a Barracuda that was about 48 inches, and 20#. Right after I landed it, I caught a Jack that fought much harder - I thought I had a larger Cuda on for a few minutes, and that thing probably was 18 inches long, and weighed less than 3#. I was using an 11.5 foot rod rated for 6# - 12#, with 15# line on it, and it was like trying to fight a horse with that little fish on. It really made me want to catch a full grown Permit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i wonder why saltwater fish fight harder??? i know ive had a big pike kick my butt or a big dogfish and a steelhead on a flyrod. but i still have yet to hook into a king. what is a better method holding on for dear life and hope it doesnt rip the rod out of your hand or chasing it down stream or just a mixture of both?

·
Registered
171 Posts
i wonder why saltwater fish fight harder??? i know ive had a big pike kick my butt or a big dogfish and a steelhead on a flyrod. but i still have yet to hook into a king. what is a better method holding on for dear life and hope it doesnt rip the rod out of your hand or chasing it down stream or just a mixture of both?
a mixture of both. if you try to horse the fish, you will either A) break your line, or B) break your rod in half.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Of the 3 listed it's darn close cuz' kings don't usually go airborne. If we're talking pound for pound, gotta go with chinooks. BUT, as far as freshwater/rivers, a 3 lb. river smallie will outfight a 3 lb. salmonid all day long. And if smallies ever grew to 20 lbs....I get the chills just imagining what they would do to salmon tackle.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Saltwater fish do kick butt, However, I do have to casy cudas are pretty weak compared to their saltwater brethern. Nothing can beat a spinner shark or triple digit tarpon. Thos will absolutely hose people on the heaviest tackle more than any jack would. I would never go lighter than a 15wt even for a 90lb spinner shark.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts