Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that they offer the MR-1C compact model for $9.99 and the MR-1 in grey, olive and camo from $22.99-$33.99

anyone use the compact model?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've personally never seen the compact model, but everyone I know who has the regular model claims its the best thing they've ever seen for insect repellant. I am curious what users here think though.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
ok

I did the home work on these and here is the scoop

The compact one is smaller and cheaper in price, but if you look close the (scent pads) that come with are only good for 4 hours, but the good things is it takes the same ones as it's big brother, so you only get 4 hrs out of the ones it comes with but once they run out and you replace them with the other ones, you have the same thing, and you get it for $20 less

They both have a range of 15x15 so all and all its the same think just smaller and cheaper

walgreens has them for $9.99

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have not had the same experience as others. I personally would choose spray over mine any day. Even with the thing on my lap i still was getting swarmed all summer, and I tried it over and over to no avail.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was skeptical but after using Snowmans a couple of times then taking it camping... I bought my own. Walmart has them for 23 ish and Cabelas, in the magazine I got today has them for 21ish. Imagine that Cabelas cheaper than Walmart.:yikes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Guys:
I know nothing about Thermacell units, but am curious. Do the scent pads ahve an odor that could be picked up be deer or other game? The October opener is usually warm in my area and I wouldn't want to spook anything by using one of these. I think I'll get one anyway because I hate the spray repellant.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Guys:
I know nothing about Thermacell units, but am curious. Do the scent pads ahve an odor that could be picked up be deer or other game? The October opener is usually warm in my area and I wouldn't want to spook anything by using one of these. I think I'll get one anyway because I hate the spray repellant.
I have the large one and won't go in the woods without it.....as for the smell have not had deer smell it yet and i even shot my bear 2 years ago with it on and it was only 23 yrds away and i was only 12 feet up....they didnt smell it either,
TJ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My son and I used mine for the first time for the squirrel opener. I did notice a smell from it, but it wasn't very strong. While out there, we had 2 4 points walk by at about 35-40 yards, directly downwind, and they never spooked a bit. neither of us were wearing anything scent proof either. I was wearing my work clothes and him, his school clothes. I wonder if the smell of the thermocell didn't cover our human scent up??? Only explanation I can come up with. This was on heavily hunted state land, so I'd expect to get busted pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The problem with the compact one is it doesn't have an off button. You have to unscrew the butane from the unit to turn it off. Other than that, they work just as well as the original.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts