·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a better black bear round:

44 special Fiochi 210 GRS LFP
Or
357 magnum 180 grain hard cast LSWC Buffalo Bore

I'm talking about for hiking. Another way of asking the question might be: which of the 2 would I be better carrying, a 44 special or 357 magnum?

thanks,

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you are talking protection i would say whichever one you r most accurate and comfortable with u shoot a black bear with either one it is not gonna like it

·
Registered
36,053 Posts
Either will kill a bear with a properly placed shot. Bear anatomy is slightly different than a deer. The onside leg covers the organs so it's best to wait for a quartering away shot.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
are you talking about for hunting bear or hiking in Black Bear country and want some piece of mind? If it is piece of mind get some bear spray and forgo the boat anchor on your hip. With Black bear you will never need either and the can of spray will weigh less and therefore be less of a, "why the hell did I bring this" item for long hikes.

If it is to hunt them - either will work fine so go with the one that you are most accurate with, get them broadside and aim for the middle of the middle - dead bear.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Unless around Yellowstone or in AK I would just take one of your favorite CC guns. Maybe a lightweight semi-auto in 40 or so. This is not so much to stop a bear charge, but general duty.

Of the two you mention the 357 with hardcast gets my vote.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,388 Posts
Bear spray is your best bet if you're just talking about hiking; studies show it's actually more effective than a firearm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts