Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post this question to see why guys prefer one over the other. I like Waxies but have mousies on-hand if necessary. I did pick up some Red Maggots at Cabela's the other day. Going to try them out this weekend.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I prefer waxies because they're usually available and have a long "shelf life". Unfortunately, the real question is not what I prefer, but what the fish prefer, and it seems that whatever I have with me ain't it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I prefer spikes also because of the durability, and also most bait shops will have them in white and red color. Some days the fish prefer one or the other, I am usually fishing with my brother and he always gets waxies and there has been times that I've "borrowed" his bait because he was killing them and I wasn't, best to have multiple options

·
Registered
57 Posts
Butter worms produce bigger fish generally.....They can be extremely tough to find though these days.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I usually have all 3 out with me but 99% of the time I use spikes. They are tougher than waxies and most of the time stay on the hooks better.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I will put a red spike and a mousie on the hook or red spike as my go to bait. Keep waxes close by just in case.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yep, I like the spikes for the same reason, they stay on the hook forever. I like red spikes, but they seem to die a lot faster than white spikes in the fridge. Usually have red, whites, and waxies with me, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Butter worms produce bigger fish generally.....They can be extremely tough to find though these days.
I had never heard of them before today and my neighbor was using him 8' away from me this afternoon, he slayed him, well me, not so much with waxies.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Spikes are way more durable so that's my bait of choice. I have coffee in the mornings with an ol timer and he mentioned butter worms the other day. I think I'll have to check em out

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
75% of the time its plastic for me, if thats a no go its spikes. No reason to have wax worms, die faster, come off the hook easier. Spikes out fish mousies and waxies 99% of the time imo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I won't use waxies unless I have no other choice. If im fishing gills i use spikes, and if im fishing crappie i use mousies. Crappies love that tail on mousies, and gills just seem to prefer spikes. I have tried plastics but they never seem to produce like the real deal.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
White spikes have done the best for me this year. Later in the season I may have to change, but right now spikes are it..Looking for some blood worms..They're tough to find, and wigglers are even harder to find..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts