Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family is ready to move up to a bigger boat. Something we can sleep/camp on and still fish from.
I am looking at the two following boats and I'm looking for some opinions.
Here is the info;
Both 1979
Both twin Chrysler 360's
Both 32'
Both convertibles/flybridge
One is a Silverton with 600 hrs and the other is a Trojan with 1200 hrs
Someone out there must have one of these and can provide some opinion based on personal experience.
I'd love a newer boat but don't mind a labor of love/ project boat.
I will also add that both boats are claimed by their current owners to be in running/useable condition.
What would your choice be.
Thanks for the decision help!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
347 Posts
if your looking for fishing boat go with trojan, i fish on a 31 silverton bridge boat and its not the best rought water boat, other then that its a great boat. Lots of room i think it has a bigger back deck then the trojan to.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Matt! I will be crawling over the silverton on Friday and comparing the Trojan Saturday morning. Just have to see what "real" condition each is in.
Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Trojans may be a bit better quality. They did have some boats with stringer issues, but more in the 10 meter line.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,
I'm all over the place. Thought I was going with the silver then talked with the company that lifted it out last and there is no record or winterization. Also having issues finding a mechanic to inspect the engines so I'm moving on to the Trojan. Will go look her over tomorrow. I got nothing but time, just want a rig ready for august to travel with the family and fish.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm back to the drawing board. No go on the three boats I looked at but I was able to determine that I would prefer a Trojan if I go with a Flybridge from that era.
The layout of the F32's is very comfortable for the family and still provides me with plenty of fishing room. The silverton was not as big in the cabin, had a great big cockpit but my focus here is on comfort for mother and the kids with also being able to fish.
I'll keep searching and I may end up with a winter project that I buy this fall and work to get it ready for next spring.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I have a buddy I think is selling a F32. PM me your info if interested.

·
Registered
775 Posts
first f32 i found on google images. prob go cheap if you have cash

[ame]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/Reelantsy/VincesF32.jpg[/ame]

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Couple things...

I love FB boats and have owned a few. Trolling like we do in MI is great from up there on the bridge but the fishermen are in the 'pit for sure. They are great with a 4+ person crew. So there is that.

Next thing is that many of the houses (cabins) on these boats are probably not in the best structural condition by now . The hulls could be fine but you really have to look at the superstructure. Even the best solid fiberglass hull down east boats have new houses now.

What you need is a "boat in a barn" like car guys look for.

I have owned tons of boats and several planes and some old cars and I can tell you that the purchase price is the cheapest part of the deal. The boats you are talking about should be under 10k by the way unless fully restored and documented.

Saying that though, there could be one somewhere near you....

Best wishes on finding one

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks jasperdog. And your absolutely right on all accounts. I realized quickly with my last project just how much project boats really are if you want to do it right. I am looking for that "barn" boat and I'm taking my time looking.
My key focuses when looking at a boat are as follows. Motor, needs to run and check out for compression with reasonable hours.
Hull second.
And thirdly does the electrical look like a beehive. If there is a beehive I don't want it.
Oh and btw. I'm looking to pay less than $5k for a purchase price. Probably dreaming but I have a great boat I can fish from now. Just want something to be able to bring mom and the kids along.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have my fingers crossed I found that barn boat.
Looked over a 31' Silverton Sedan last night. Sat down when I got home and made a budget list of major project items.
Called the owner today, he accepted the offer, as he is a storage and hauling company as well, we made a package deal with splashing, haul out, winterization and inside storage with power. I'd love to say what I paid but lets just say I'm smilling. Its not one of the happiest day of being a boat owner that most people talk about but it probably will be after I do some maintanance and its ready to get in the water.
In the end, I have two Chrysler 225's with vdrive transmissions that I should be able to sell for what I paid for the boat.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
If you need a quick survey, let me know. I will be in Ludington all next week. I'll bring my equipment with me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you need a quick survey, let me know. I will be in Ludington all next week. I'll bring my equipment with me.
Thanks but the Boats in Elk Rapids at the moment. I'm picking up some new batteries tonight to install and hook the boat up to water and get the motors running. Going to start on some clean up and take a note pad for full list of needed items/repairs.
My father is coming up from the Gulf for the last two weeks in July to visit, so unknown to him, I'm going to put his craftsmanship to work on building a dinette and making some cosmetic repairs.
Just told the wife we made a deposit, she said to get my a*& down on that boat and get it in the water. She wants to be salmon fishing under the fireworks here in Petoskey next week. Keep in mind, she may be trying to feed a newborn and net a fish at the same time as were expecting a baby any day now.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Thanks but the Boats in Elk Rapids at the moment. I'm picking up some new batteries tonight to install and hook the boat up to water and get the motors running. Going to start on some clean up and take a note pad for full list of needed items/repairs.
My father is coming up from the Gulf for the last two weeks in July to visit, so unknown to him, I'm going to put his craftsmanship to work on building a dinette and making some cosmetic repairs.
Just told the wife we made a deposit, she said to get my a*& down on that boat and get it in the water. She wants to be salmon fishing under the fireworks here in Petoskey next week. Keep in mind, she may be trying to feed a newborn and net a fish at the same time as were expecting a baby any day now.
Good for you :). Have fun with the new toy. Boats are cool.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good for you :). Have fun with the new toy. Boats are cool.
Boats are work! But I knew that going into this. I just finished my 22' starcraft project and finally got it where my vision was when I bought it back 3 summers ago around this time and now I've got another whole or "hole" new project. At least I still have something I can fish from and I'm not overly excited to get on the water and catch fish with the new boat, so that should mean that I take the time and do it right. Bigger boat just means bigger $'s but with the research I've done to refit my 22', I have better direction now on where to find stuff for this project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts