Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my grandson Kyran to Fenton Lake January 25 2011. We got skunked.:( I spent 20.00 at Gander Mountain so they are happy.:corkysm55 I fed the fish with the left over minnows so the Fenton Lake fish got a free meal . So they are happy. :p Now as for my grandsons outing, he didn't catch a fish, he caught a glimmer of hope that next time he will catch some fish to take home and be proud. Now my comment on all of this. I tried to show him the best time I could because a four year old boy who is turning five Feb 1st 2011 needs the experience of outdoors life . Watching all of the fishing shows is ok they must have all of the techniques and and gadgets I have limited equipment but at least I try. So my final statement .It's not how many you catch it's who you caught them with. Take a kid fishing. God Bless America and Mother Earth. The Eagle has landed.:p

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just a heads up, probly not a good idea to get in the habit of dumping minnows down the hole. Better to leave them on the ice if your not taking them home.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
maybe someone that lives on a private pond or lake will help you out with a pm and invite. Public lakes have a learning curve and few are willing to share there best spots. Don't give up. Nothing better than watching a youngster catch their first fishes. good luck.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yes - as far as extra bait it is best to dump them on the ice and let the scavengers get them or wait til you get to shore. Whatever bait you have may not be native to that lake and you could be introducing an exotic by dumping bait in the hole.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank-you I will take them home next time and pour them on my tomato garden . It worked for the Native Americans should be good fertalser . Thank-you . The Eagle has landed.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I have been out on Lake Fenton a couple of times this year and I got skunked both times. Things have changed. After talking to some other anglers it seems as though Lake Fenton has really gone down hill as far as the fishing goes. I grew up on the lake but I havent fished it in about 15 years. Kinda sad, my family has successfully fished that lake for over 100 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anish It's probably a creel problem. If you keep taking large amounts of fish out of a lake you starve the reproductive fish . The eco-system gets jostled just as if the plankton gets diminished, it affects the whole life circle of life. The Great Lakes is in great peril the evasive species both plant and animal is creating thousands of dollars in lost revenue to the commercial fishing industry. The latest is the silver carp for instance. Another is the zebra muscles they eat too much zoo and animal plankton. One more is the lamprey .They latch on the side of fish and suck the blood like a blood sucker and kill the fish. Senator John Gleason keeps tabs on our hunting and fishing.He sends information by snail mail so we can get informed. Thank-you The Eagle has landed. God Bless the U.S.A. and Mother Earth.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head with creel limits. In the late 80's and early 90's Lake Fenton was THE hot spot. The shanty towns were huge and they were everywhere. Also, things started to change when the zebra muscles showed up. Both hit about the same time. I would love to see Lake Fenton come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts