Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just picked up my new 20 ga ultra slug hunter. Im a college student so I have plenty of time to decide where to start on ammo. I will be going home in two weeks to mount the scope Should I sight in at 50 or 100 yards? what kind of ammo should i start with???

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Start at 25. That will at least get you on the paper. Make sure that the reticle in the scope is centered before you take the first shot. That way you will have full adjustment when you need to move it. If you don't know how to do this, there are tuturials available online. If the firearm you are referring to is a break-action, you can bore sight it after you mount the scope. Open the breach and support the gun on a gun vice or make a support by cutting v-notches on the edge of both ends of a cardboard box. Anything to support the gun in a steady position. Look down the bore and center it on a distant object. Adjust the reticle of the scope until it is centered in the object that the bore is aimed at. You can do this at home in the basement or in a hallway. If the firearm has a rifled barrel, shoot sabot slugs. When at the range, always use a good solid rest, preferably a vice of some kind. If you don't have a vice, try rolling up a towel to support the foreend. Don't rest the barrel on anything, just the foreend stock on the towel or on your hand on the towel. Once you are hitting the target at 25 yards, adjust the POI until it is dead on at 25. Then move to 100 and fine tune from there. Many times if you are dead nuts at 25 you will be pretty close at 100. By pretty close, I mean within 6 inches or so, depending on the slug. Try 3 or 4 different brands of sabots and see which of them groups the best. That's the one to use. Fine tune the one which delivers the best group. Always let the barrel cool after firing 3 shot groups. Forget the malarkey about "knock-down power". They will all kill the animal but only if they hit where you are aiming. Good luck, be safe, and have fun with the new gun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
use the cheep ones to get you on paper - Hasting Lasers do a good job of that. Then, try either Lightfields
or Hornady SST both can be purchased for around $10 if you watch the sales at Duhnams and Dicks. I'm sure there are other out there that will aslo wokr but might set you back a few more $$. Look around at the lightfield site, all kinds of articles on zeroing scopes and proper shooting with a slug gun

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
This is the distance from my kitchen slider to the apple trees behind the house.

Any way, shoot Federal premium 20 GA. 3" 5/8 oz. "Vital-Shoks.

Little ragged hole at that distance.

Have shot them out to a hundred yards and they still shoot great.

Use a 2.5 power scope on this gun and she seems to do just fine:D

Use this gun for late in the season apple munchers that come up in the yard.

Has never let me down yet!

The 2.75" Federals shoot about 2.6" lower at this distance through my gun then the 3" if you want to try them for rough sight in.

However the difference in "Wow factor" between the two is a lot!

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,912 Posts
get it close at 25 yards with the cheap stuff and then try the rest. lots of guys have good luck with the lightfields but my gun hates them. partition golds where the ticket for mine. little pricey but they hold a 1.5" group at 100 yards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i just TRIED to sight in my H&R 20 gauge yesterday...what a mess! I tried Lightfield, Winchester Supreme Partition, Hornady SST, and Federal. They all sucked! i dont know what to do now. the best i got was with lightfields at 50 yards...the at 100 they were all over the board. i was on a lead sled and i know i wasnt jerking the trigger...i had a friend shoot and he too was all over. i'm thining of going to get the 12 gauge and being done with it. i know 4 guys that shoot the 12 gauge with wincheter supremes and they are great. not sure if there is an issue with the 20 gauge or if i havent found the right bullet. any suggestions?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the bbl with a bristle brush after every few shots? Plastic from the sabots can build up quick, especially in a new barrel. Accuracy goes fast when plastic builds up!

·
Registered
64 Posts
well just picked up my new 20 ga ultra slug hunter. Im a college student so I have plenty of time to decide where to start on ammo. I will be going home in two weeks to mount the scope Should I sight in at 50 or 100 yards? what kind of ammo should i start with???
jworster08--everyone i know that has the H&R slug guns, both 12 and 20, all said that you have to shoot a few different brands of slugs to see which ones group the best...each gun is different. Some guns like a clean barrel and other like it a little dirty. It varies from gun to gun. Start out with 2 flavors and see how they fly and go from there.

As for my gun...yes, the scope can handle the recoil...it's a Leupold UltimateSlam and it is tight. I talked to a few different guys who have the 20 and they said that their gun is shooting great after they put about 15 boxes through the gun. Not sure if the barrel needs to be broken in or what...still may go get the 12 and keep the 20 as a project.

Good luck jworster08! Let me know how your gun shoots.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unfortunately I m a college student and won't be able to sight it in until the weekend of the 7th :(. I will post what works best.

Has anyone had problems with take down power with the 20? The guy at gander said the 20 and 12 with this model are very similar the main difference is the recoil. My shots will mostly be under 100 yards so I'm not worried about stretching it out too much. What do you think the max yardage would be???

·
Registered
169 Posts
From what you’ve told us, it sounds to me like your barrels rifling is pretty rough and you can spend the cash and shoot 15 boxes threw it or you could try to use some JB Bore cleaner to smooth it out. Get it at a gunsmith, it’s basically like a polish in paste form, you just apply it on a patch and wrap the patch around a cleaning brush then use it to polish the rifling. Ask your gunsmith how much to polish it it’s been a while since I used it, but it helped me solve the same kind of problem on a Remington slug barrel I was having trouble with. You do need to clean it very good after. Just Google JB Bore Cleaner and there’s lots of good instruction on how to do it.

Sorry if this is a repeat but my computer is wack-o today:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
unfortunately I m a college student and won't be able to sight it in until the weekend of the 7th :(. I will post what works best.

Has anyone had problems with take down power with the 20? The guy at gander said the 20 and 12 with this model are very similar the main difference is the recoil. My shots will mostly be under 100 yards so I'm not worried about stretching it out too much. What do you think the max yardage would be???
"Take down power" as you call it is malarkey. When you have sighted your firearm in for ACCURACY, with whatever brand of ammo the gun tells you to use, at ranges under 100 yards, ALL, I repeat, ALL of today's modern ammunition for shotguns with rifled barrels will kill a deer effectively. Provided that you hit where you are aiming, which is in the boiler room, preferrably with a broadside target. This is why ACCURACY in a firearm is far more important than "take down power". Rest assured that the 20 guage with modern sabot slugs is more than capable.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Keep an open mind while shooting slugs. Don't assume a 3" slug will out perform a 2 3/4" slug. Shoot a few different models to see what your "gun likes".

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the buckhammer 12 2 3/4 out of my 870 and my gun loves them.gander mtn 7.49 a box and kick like no other. have killed deer out to 175 yards with them and trust me they still have plenty of knock at that range. buddy uses a h&r and hunts with them lazer slugs but the buckhammers fly perfect for him to. he doesn't like they way the kick though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree, you do not need 3" magnum slugs. I have two hunting buds who use and swear by the 20 H&R Ultra Slugger model. Both have quality optics (Leupold), use Federal Barnes, Winchester SXT or Hornady SST's and both shoot 1.5" - 2" MOA all day long. Clean your barrel real good and if the barrel feels hot to the touch - from too many test rounds- let it cool off for 20 minutes, then shoot again. These are really accurrate rifles and a 20 gage is very lethal. Shot placement is key to any slug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts