Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys ordering your red pine plugs? I'm looking to order a few hundred, prefer them to be a little on the bigger side (6s/10s) if at all possible. Open to any and all suggestions. If I have to will go bare root, but the idea of using a drill bit to get these in the ground sounds a lot easier to me.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not sure what county, but conservation district?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to have to give them a call. Their site (livingston) just says they are working on a plan and will provide updates at a later time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where are you guys ordering your red pine plugs? I'm looking to order a few hundred, prefer them to be a little on the bigger side (6s/10s) if at all possible. Open to any and all suggestions. If I have to will go bare root, but the idea of using a drill bit to get these in the ground sounds a lot easier to me.
Our conservation district never sold plugs that I am aware of, only bare root. I saw 6s Red Pine plugs for sale at Itasca Greenhouse. They are in Minnesota so you will pay more in shipping. But you can also order red pine bare root trees from Cold Stream Farms in Freesoil, MI, or Needlefast Evergreens (231.843.8524) in Ludington, MI.

http://www.itascagreenhouse.com/

https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
Reactions: Biff Diesel

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Vans Pines in West Olive MI (Holland area) is a good choice for small amounts of larger container stock. They have a variety of sizes of most conifers.

Chief River sells Canadian grown plugs I believe, though those might also now be grown in Brighton, MI. The Canadian grower does not mess with small/retail type orders, though if you want a million plugs, they’re your Huckleberry. But those are basic small seedlings for use on mass-scale projects. Quality will be fine. Shipped from Wisconsin.

Itasca is very good but shipping from Minnesota adds up more in lower MI than U.P.

Not all Conservation Districts will offer plugs. Because bare-roots “are the way we’ve always done it.”

1 - 8 of 7 Posts