Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am just really getting started chasing salmon and steelhead. This past year I got hooked on migratory fish and I was lucky enough to be successful for both species last year. However, this was on the East Side. I have only caught three salmon from the West side and that was because I was on a boat with a West side angler on the Big Man. I moved up to Mt. Pleasant and the Muskegon and the White are the two closest rivers. I know I should probably go up to the other rivers a little north of there, but I fish alone, which makes two hour drives tough. I know the Muskegon a little bit from when I went to Ferris State, but I didn't really fish it for the Salmon. I was wondering if you guys could help me with which of these two have easier access and walks without the headache of elbow to elbow fishing. Not a big fan of elbow to elbow, I would rather walk and find my own spot (which I am guessing will be quite tough). I was thinking about going to the White over the Muskegon, because its more wadeable and less private. PMs welcome.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Both are elbow to elbow in most places unless you put boots to the ground. The MO is usually later than most other rivers so you can try others before heading there. The PM isn't much further and has an better run than most other rivers. Good luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Salmon head north, Steelhead for numbers Mo.
Salmon lose their appeal very quickly for me but occasionally you are in the right place at the right time at it makes salmon fishing enjoyable.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I do prefer Steel myself, but salmon fishing will do for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts