Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen boats on the Grand River near Dimondale. I don't know where there is a public boat launch in the area, though. Does Grand Pointe Marina allow people to launch? Where is the closest lauch that is below the old dam location?

·
Registered
47 Posts
we allways launch at the park by waverly road off lansing rd but ya better know the river to make it up there . its a blast in a bass boat gotta keep it on plane and there is only a couple spots you can take off or shut down once you get past the 96 bridge rocks and stumps . also mud i have seen people load up ther lower unit in the mud because they didnt run the river chanel properly . but it can be done and up by the millponds in diamondale the pay off is worth the trip. good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if you've never been on the river before, (like me, and like the guy who has the boat), you'd better just forget about it?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BUMP

Should we just forget about trying to navigate the river from Waverly road to Dimondale, seeing as how it would be our first time on that stretch?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I called Grand Pointe. They have a ramp, but very little parking. They tell me about the "boat club." Lansing Boat Club, I guess. Ramp and lots of parking. Accross from the Dispatch Bar, wherever that is. I am not familiar with it. Not far from Waverly and Lansing Road intersection. Address for the bar in the phone book is 3004 W Main, Lansing TWP.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
SgtSabre said:
BUMP

Should we just forget about trying to navigate the river from Waverly road to Dimondale, seeing as how it would be our first time on that stretch?
Easy for me to say, since it is my buddy's boat, but....we DO put in his rig at the boat launch mentioned above and then go upstream to Dimondale. The most challenging part is to stay in the channel for the first 1/2 to 3/4 mile above Waverly Rd. Immediately above Waverly, the channel goes along about 100ft out from the south bank, then turns back towards the middle (BEFORE the downed timber lying on the muck bar in the river). There is a large area of very shallow water that goes from the north bank out past the middle of the river, a ways upstream from the timber pile that I mentioned. Start looking for the steeper banks on the south side and stay reasonable close to them. After the river narrows down again, it is much easier to run and, BTW: good numbers of smallies and eyes to be caught....
One thing you could consider is launching during a popular time and then follow another boat at a discrete distance. Lots of folks make that run.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, be careful once you go under the Waverly bridge. Many a prop has been chunked because they didn't know which way the channel went. Would be nice if it was marked somehow, buoys or whatever.

Of course you could always float a canoe down the river and not have that problem at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts