Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off Thurs and Friday and might be taking my daughter out of school for the day, she's earned it with her lowest grade being an B and she wants to try out her new warm weather clothes she got for Christmas.

I'm not too familiar with SANG, Cotton Road or Fairhaven so I'm wondering where to go ice fishing soon. With that said, I'm not sure where to go to give her a chance to catch fish. It seems like most of the inland lakes I fish aren't really safe yet (my caution level goes up when taking her) and I'm not sure where to go. If Chemung was to add a few inches before then I'd be happy going there. The place I'd really like to take her is Airport Bay off Grosse Ile but I know that isn't ready yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was on Houghton Lake yesterday seemed to be an off day but I have done well there lately. I went out about a half mile and still had 10" of ice. If you want to stay away from the Tipup Town crowd go to the access up by the airport on Co rd 100. good numbers of gills and spects and alot of hammer handles. Anyways I hope you have fun where ever you take her.:p

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it John, thanks.

Houghton is probably too far for a day trip but thanks anyways. My other kid is having a minor nose surgery (3rd in a month and 5 over the year) and it will only be a couple hours to keep his sister from pestering him. We'd need to be back shortly so I can give the wife a break and wait on him while he's bed ridden. He better not get used to it.;)

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
I'm hoping to take my boyz out Saturday. I'm hoping Chemung has enough ice by then but like you Pat my caution level goes up with them in tow.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might just throw a life jacket on her no matter where we go as a precaution. I might even put another on a rope just in case. I'm hoping these next couple of cold nights give us another inch or two before we get out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Life jacket on the young ones no matter where you go this time of year. It sounds like two or three days of real cold and a little warm- up this weekend. Have fun and good luck!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
i too am hoping theres a couple more inches of ice on chemung so i can take my boy out sat.if i get a chance i will check the ice on chemung thursday morning.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bill. I may even just head there Thursday myself even if I have to fish close to shore.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Sounds like you guys could get your kids to catch a million of those dink gills at the north lake of stoney creek.....never been there but I can imagine.....sounds like the type of stunted gill pond that could be great for kids. ???

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll check Chemung on Thursday since I know some other lakes in the area if I can't get out there. If it's not good I'll take her to the basin at Metro. She'd be happy catching fish off the docks if something happens to the ice.

I'm somewhat concerned about the snow coming and insulating the ice. Hopefull it blows off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts