Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

A buddy and I are going to do some late season grouse hunting next Monday. Since my wife and I are moving to Traverse City we thought we would head up thataway.

Can anyone give me a sense of public land it would be profitable to explore in the Cadillac/Traverse City area? Just a general sense is fine. We love to explore but would just as soon not spend the whole day driving.

PMs are fine.

Best,

Parker

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I don't believe much grouse hunting is being done around the TC area right now with all the snow on the ground.
Best to check snow depths first wherever you choose to travel.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I live between Cadillac and TC. I have 18" to 24" in my yard. Going to the pigeon coop was a real treat last night. Bring snow shoes if you think you are going out, and watch out for the sleds. Winter storm warning until 4am tomorrow.

:sad:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I live between Cadillac and TC. I have 18" to 24" in my yard. Going to the pigeon coop was a real treat last night. Bring snow shoes if you think you are going out, and watch out for the sleds. Winter storm warning until 4am tomorrow.

:sad:
Rodger that.

We live 7 miles West of TC. Have a measured 25 inches of settled white stuff on our deck at the moment, which needs to get shoveled off today bc/ 6-8 " more forecast for tomorrow. :sad: Most of my good late season spots are "off the bearen path" and would only be reachable at this point by snow cat or other snow machine.:rant:

I'd say bring some ice fishing gear but no sure there is any safe ice anywhere as of yet??

Natty B.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
It's my experience that hunting in that much snow is impossible for both hunter and dog.

If there was no snow, I would say that you should have no trouble flushing a few up there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me offer you a resource where you can find lots of general info about where to go in the Traverse City area, MyNorth.com and we have a community there with lots of helpful folks who know scads about the area. There are 44 articles about Cadillac including, Your Day In Cadillac. And there are more than 500 articles on Traverse City. If you take some photos of your exploring, make sure to upload them into the community--we'd love to see what you find. And welcome to Traverse City--you're going to love living Up North.
Rachel North

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
There are no Grouse in Michigan let alone between TC and Cadilac, we get a few flight woodcock at best.

Do you own beagles? Plenty of bunnies this year.
No grouse in Michigan period! Plenty of doves...no grouse though. :D

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
C'mon Fred, the guy's just looking for some help!

Around Lansing we have MOBS of grouse. They roost in the woods across the street from my house. They sit in the trees and drive the pointers crazy with their constant "caw caw"-ing.

Now, the grouse down here are all black, but I'm pretty sure there's a white phase that you'll find on the beaches up around TC.

Hope this helps!

KW

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all. Yes, we are going to really enjoy the TC area--lots of friends and so much to do. As several of you suggested, the heavy snow cover made us cancel this trip. Have to do my exploring later. For what it is worth, I flushed or heard a ton of grouse this year while I was trout and steelie fishing in the NW Lower and UP. The problem is, in the NW Lower at least, it was mostly private land around the stream. Thanks again.

P

1 - 11 of 11 Posts