Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I moved back here to Waterford and I'm looking for a good place that is really close to me to do some shore fishing. I'm looking to go out tonight after dinner (probably around 6:30 or so) and maybe this weekend. I've only been fishing once here in MI since I got back a few weeks ago, that was up in Lapeer on a pontoon.

I know there are lakes all over the area, but most have no clear shore line or are private lakes with houses all around them.

The closer to Mott HS the better. With the way gas is these days.

Also if you can't post a place in public forum, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm not sure how the fishing would be, but there is a boat launch right off of Williams lake road for Maceyday lake. I've never fished there, so I'm not sure on the action. If you cant fish there you can head up williams lake road a little further to Pontiac lake recration there is a nice fishing dock there. You can fish there no problem- I hear the bass are good on that lake.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
You really can't go wrong with Dodge Park on Cass. You can fish from 100's of feet shore and they have a fishing pier. If you get a little bored, there is the eye candy at the beach also:) People use worms and minnows with bobbers, plastics and the pier can get you pike with spoons, spinners and so on. I like to use one pole with bait and bobber and cast lures with another pole. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
deep6 is right on also about Pontiac lake. Ken at KD Outdoors on M59 just west of airport can help you also...stop in there for help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll try Doge Park first, see what happens over there. That way I can avoid buying a State Park Permit right now. I'm short on cash till I start work again.

I'll definitely stop into KD's if I go over to Pontiac Lake, only been there a few times several years ago.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll try Doge Park first, see what happens over there. That way I can avoid buying a State Park Permit right now. I'm short on cash till I start work again.
I think you need a pass to get into dodge park too.

If you decide to go you could always start at Dodge park and work your way back towards waterford hitting both Pontiac lake and Maceyday lake ;) Then you can see what works best for you and get a little taste of the area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah now that I've done some Google'in about the park, I see that you need a permit as well. Oh well I'll just get a pass and get it over with, that way I can go to Pontiac as well whenever I want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well me and the gf just got back from Dodge Park, went 0 for 1. Was there about 90 mins or so.

I wasn't getting any bites, more hang ups than anything fishing a Shaky head. So I switched to a Mann's Baby 1-Minus in Babybass. On my 3rd cast I saw a bass roll on it, I set the hook and he just dove to the bottom. I was strugglin with him for a bit and then I felt nothing. I started reeling in and had about a 2lber..of weeds :lol: he must have went down in all that mucky weeds and shook'er loose. But at least it got my adrenaline going. Going to go back soon, it's less than 4 miles from my house, so thats good.

I'll be checking out Pontiac Lake soon aswell.

·
Registered
451 Posts
maceday is very very shallow at the launch, it doesnt get deeper until almost halfway to the bend.

from the access site onto loon (its off dixie hwy , the road for its right across from hatchery) you can get to decent water, especially if the boat dock itself isn't being used at the moment. while my buddy was fooling with the boat i casted a rapala off it one time and caught a 12" smallie lol, 1st cast before the boat was even in.

or, what i've seen people do is there's those townhouse/apartments (whatever) on the northwest corner where cass-elizabeth dead ends onto cooley lake rd. they've got a lot of lake frontage. (if anyone asks you have family that lives there ;) ) its just down the road from dodge park. and if you get kicked out of there, (never seen it happen)

go north up cooley lake and on crescent lake theres a little access, but theres only like 4-6 parking spots and its probably only 20 good yards of frontage, and the boats tear it up becuase theres no formal ramp. but on an off day later in fall no ones out, and the weeds are down so its a decent spot to fish.

these are some of the more obvious spots, boat ramps and stuff.
i've got some more spots too if you need more pm me.
p.s. pontiac lake can be fun if you find a little spot on the shore, from the pier on a weekend you'll get the ???'s and certain annoyances like anywhere else. i love getting somewhere on a weekday, the earlier the better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Check out ALL of the boat launches on Pontiac Lake. There is a smaller launch somewhat buried in a neighborhood that I went to when camping there. Good bass and gill action there... PM me if you can't find the one I'm talking about and I'll dig it up in my camping notes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts