Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned something new about my wife last night. Apparently as a pre-teen, she had a certain fondness for archery. She didn't ever hunt, but had her own bow and did quite a bit of target shooting.

Last year, I picked up my Dad's old Browning Nomad II -- a 30 year old compound that I use specifically for deer hunting. My efforts paid off and I took my first deer a few weeks ago.

As we talked about her archery experience last night, my wife mentioned that if given the opportunity, she'd really like to get back into it. She's always been eager to join me bird hunting, but never wants to carry a gun. However, she said that she thinks she could really get into deer hunting.

Well, that's all I need. Despite the fact that I would really like a new bow for myself, I'm officially shopping for a bow for my wife. I'm thinking it would make a great Christmas present. Having a wife who hunts will really help introduce my two girls (both under 3) to hunting in a few years.

Since this is something new for her, I'm wondering if there's a good, entry-level compound bow I should look at. I'd prefer something used, but don't really know where to go for a used bow. She's 5'3" and weighs a buck ten after a heavy meal, so maybe even a youth bow would do the trick.

Again, I'm pretty new at this myself and don't know a whole lot about archery equipment. Any thoughts?

KW

·
Registered
697 Posts
There are lots of bows that would probably be good choices for her. Browning micro midas or micro adrenaline, Diamond razor edge, Darton ranger series. These are just a few that come to mind. They are classed as youth bows, but they have lots of adjustability, usually enough to fit most grown men if need be. If I were looking for a good used bow, I would head over to archery talk and check out the classifieds. LOTS of bows there to check out. I have bought and sold several there myself.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not sure about which bow you should get, but drive down to Schpauchs in jackson. They will help you in every way possible. They have all kinds of bows in stock, will let you test shoot them and will get you fitted correctly, which is very important for a beginner as the correct fit really affects accuracy in the begining.

J-

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Rocky's Great Outdoors has a good selection of top name bows, and the expertise to go with it. They are located south of Flint, in Burton, corner of Saginaw & Bristol rds.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Diamond Razor edge. 30-60# draw weight range, 24-30" of draw length and as a package just about ready to shoot sans arrows. Draw adjustment is done via a sliding mod on the cams, no press necessary and it is in 1/2" increments. Have her use a release and shoot off the string then maybe move to a d-loop later. Set up many this season and everyone is shooting great. You may want to add a stabilizer just to make her a little more steady.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm a total Darton fan but I am told the bow mentioned below is a good choice for an entry level bow that could last a lifetime. I would look at AT.com for a used one. They are there.

Diamond Razor edge. 30-60# draw weight range, 24-30" of draw length and as a package just about ready to shoot sans arrows. Draw adjustment is done via a sliding mod on the cams, no press necessary and it is in 1/2" increments. Have her use a release and shoot off the string then maybe move to a d-loop later. Set up many this season and everyone is shooting great. You may want to add a stabilizer just to make her a little more steady.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My wife got set up at Schubpacs with a Browning Micro Adrenaline, and we are very happy with it. I am not sure, but they may have some good used bows also. I also would say that Archery talk is a good place to look, but the professional help from a place like Schubpacs will be invaluable for the first time set up.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
i hope you understand how lucky you are to have a woman that will share an interest with you. take her to a proshop and set her up with the best stuff you can afford. and have many happy years enjoying archery together.
I learned something new about my wife last night. Apparently as a pre-teen, she had a certain fondness for archery. She didn't ever hunt, but had her own bow and did quite a bit of target shooting.

Last year, I picked up my Dad's old Browning Nomad II -- a 30 year old compound that I use specifically for deer hunting. My efforts paid off and I took my first deer a few weeks ago.

As we talked about her archery experience last night, my wife mentioned that if given the opportunity, she'd really like to get back into it. She's always been eager to join me bird hunting, but never wants to carry a gun. However, she said that she thinks she could really get into deer hunting.

Well, that's all I need. Despite the fact that I would really like a new bow for myself, I'm officially shopping for a bow for my wife. I'm thinking it would make a great Christmas present. Having a wife who hunts will really help introduce my two girls (both under 3) to hunting in a few years.

Since this is something new for her, I'm wondering if there's a good, entry-level compound bow I should look at. I'd prefer something used, but don't really know where to go for a used bow. She's 5'3" and weighs a buck ten after a heavy meal, so maybe even a youth bow would do the trick.

Again, I'm pretty new at this myself and don't know a whole lot about archery equipment. Any thoughts?

KW

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Not sure about which bow you should get, but drive down to Schpauchs in jackson. They will help you in every way possible. They have all kinds of bows in stock, will let you test shoot them and will get you fitted correctly, which is very important for a beginner as the correct fit really affects accuracy in the begining.

J-
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Take her to a couple of shops to look at bows. Let her decide and just pick up the tab. Advantages are time spent together, getting her questions answered by the sales group, allowing you to ask follow up questions, she'll be able to hold and draw the bow, and she'll have the final say.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Last year my wife of 26 years stated she wanted to shoot a bow. She enjoyed watching our sons and i practice and decided she wanted a bow. We checked out diamond brand, parkers (at gander mountain) and then i took her to ed's archery in clio area. She left with a mathews youth bow.it was set up and all the equipmentset to her. What a blast it has been shooting with her this summer and seeing her get more confident and becoming a better shooter. Then bow season came and after her first time out by herself, she was hooked. She was in a ground blind and took a shot at an 8 pt at 18 yards. She got buck fever and shot under the buck but learned she must not concentrat on the rack. I agree with the statement to get the best equipment you can afford and have it set up by a pro and then enjoy a new hunting partner.:)

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips.

I drove down to Non-Typical Archery in Grass Lake last week. Pat (Non-Typical on the forum) set me up with a used Browning youth bow, complete with sight, rest, release, arrows... all for a very reasonable price.

It was kind of a drive from Lansing (2 hours round trip with my 5 month and 2.5 year old kids :dizzy:), but Pat sounds very willing to work with us if it's not a good fit for her or there's problem with the bow.

Anyway, I'm a little nervous about whether or not it's going to fly as an "acceptable" gift, but I overheard her talking to her sister-in-law on Thanksgiving, and they both were saying it would be fun to learn to shoot... So we'll see!

KW

·
Registered
601 Posts
Now if you can just keep your daughter from saying "guess where we went today and we bought you a bow"!! Merry Christmas to all!!

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now if you can just keep your daughter from saying "guess where we went today and we bought you a bow"!! Merry Christmas to all!!
Yeah, she's nearly spilled the beans several times now. The whole ride home went something like this:

Me: "What did we get Mommy for Christmas?"
Her: "A bow"
Me: "No, it's called a 'Surprise'. So what did we get Mommy for Christmas?"
Her: "A surprise"

A couple minutes later...

Me: "What did we get Mommy for Christmas?"
Her: "A bow"
Me: "No, it's called a 'Surprise'... So what did we get Mommy for Christmas?"
Her: "A surprise"

I think she gets it!

KW

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm going to be trying out bows soon myself and got some good ideas where to go from reading this thread.
[/COLOR]
Did anyone go to Cabelas to get their bow? If so, what was your experience? Would you recommend going there? If not, what is the better place?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm going to be trying out bows soon myself and got some good ideas where to go from reading this thread.

Did anyone go to Cabelas to get their bow? If so, what was your experience? Would you recommend going there? If not, what is the better place?

Check out Luckeys Archery in Shelby Twp I have bought 2 bows from him this year very impressed good friendly service.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just bought a Diamond razor edge for my wife from Luckeys Archery. Very adjustable she loves it. I am really impressed with the performance of this little bow and you can't beat the bang for your buck. I got the whole Package with wrist strap peep sight quiver sight and rest for like $330 New. Check it out you will be hard pressed to find something nice used for that price. Trust me I looked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts