Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few lakes I fish here in the SELP where I occasionally run into perch while fishing gills/crappie, usually around drop offs. I'd like to target more perch, any suggestions on what to look for in terms of depth, structure, or vegetation?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You need some sort of vodoo magic to answer that

·
Registered
18,261 Posts
After today's mini perchfest I probably should not reply...
The same lake though at one time minnows,specifically pinheads hooked in front of tail rather than just under dorsal fin,in six feet of water the last half hour of daylight, had nice perch coming up from deeper water into a cove. A bic lighter spring for a strike indicator. Let them pull it all the way down first.
Another lake I had lived near had an outlet. Each year around end of Feb.(?) jumbo's would get in shallow in the still green weeds from the moving water.
Only about a week to catch them then they quit or left.
Forage can factor. Certain bottom types, deeper too, can offer larva. Some areas it's minnows. Some lakes have flats with short weeds that smaller perch hang on till larger ones come shallow to spawn..
A lake with freshwater shrimp/scuds should really show some healthy fish and a shallower set up location still producing decent fish...

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I've done best on flats. Top of the drop-off, or bottom of the drop-off. Hardly ever right on the drop. Sometimes as deep as 50-60 ft.. Sometimes as shallow as 2 ft. Sometimes on minnows, sometimes on the same tiny baits you use for gills. Move Move Move. One of the best inland perch days I've ever had was on a deep flat. 4 of us were randomly searching 45-55 ft flat and one of the guys found em. We pounded em for 3 hrs. Good Luck. Probably doesn't help much, but just keep moving and you'll find them.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
My favorite is a lake that has a wiggler bed flat, 3-4' deep and use small jiggin raps. Jumbos every year from January to April. Sight fish them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"Meijers"

Depth-Way back, alongside the meat dept.
Structure-Large glass cooler, great spot to sight fish. Supports many species from around the Globe
Vegetation-A few isles over in the Produce section
Good Luck

·
Registered
572 Posts
drill holes drill holes drill holes. found some jumbo boys that were active off of a hump in the lake that was 15ft surrounded by 35 ft. fished all around that hump and they were tight to the bottom. above the bottom a foot and we caught bluegills. also had to change baits. first they took minnows, then it was spoons, then it was waxys. caught a nice meal for my buddy whos never had perch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts