Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you want a decent Buffy decoy for the money I'd buy some GHG Buff's... You can get them at any of the online stores like Cabelas, Rogers, etc...
Or you can do like we did and paint your own with Herters foam decoy blocks... They are a lot harder to sink, and also lightweight:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want a decent Buffy decoy for the money I'd buy some GHG Buff's... You can get them at any of the online stores like Cabelas, Rogers, etc...
Or you can do like we did and paint your own with Herters foam decoy blocks... They are a lot harder to sink, and also lightweight:)
You got pics of yours?

JIM

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't belive I do... We bought two dozen Herters plain white blocks w/heads. Then painted them to match some of the cork Buff's we have. They turned out pretty good, and not to expensive either! They take quite a beating as well, and hold paint well unlike most of the plastic decoys.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds interesting... Im off to google the Herters plain white blocks w/heads

Thanks fot the heads up.

JIM

·
Registered
397 Posts
ya id go with the ghg. that's the only coys i buy

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
The oversized look really nice.

you can also contact Jeff @ Webbedconnections. (google it) He has an internet store, but he also has a place right in Livonia and he's usually a bit cheaper than Macks or Cabelas.

and you'd be buying local!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's another option for decoys:

http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck/bufflehead.html

I have some of the Sportplast decoys (old squaws), and have been very happy with them. Sportplast used to make decoys for Carry-Lite, too. Those old Carry-Lite's lasted forever. I still have and use my first set that was purchased over 10 years ago.

In my experience with Avery and GHG, you won't even get a full season out of them before the paint needs to be redone. :mad:

Painting the Herter's is a great choice. Those things are indestructible!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here's another option for decoys:

http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck/bufflehead.html

I have some of the Sportplast decoys (old squaws), and have been very happy with them. Sportplast used to make decoys for Carry-Lite, too. Those old Carry-Lite's lasted forever. I still have and use my first set that was purchased over 10 years ago.

In my experience with Avery and GHG, you won't even get a full season out of them before the paint needs to be redone. :mad:

I'd be careful with Knutsons though. I go there quite often cause it's right down the road.... and they're pretty pricey.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got mine last year at Gander Mountian. I paid $29. for them. I went in there this year and they didn't have nothing for decoys, or waterfowl stuff. (FLINT) This kind of broke my heart. I do have to admit I like e-bay for decoys though, just make sure you research the ones you want before buying online. I do like the thought of buying local, I am going to look up Jeff at Webbedconnections and see if I need anything else. We need to keep the money and jobs in Michigan, because no one else will do it for us.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

I always clearcoat my new plastic decoys with Krylon 1011 spray. Seems to help keep the paint from coming off. The only plastic decoys that I never have a paint problem with are G&H - they're pricey for plastic, but they're worth it (unfortunately I don't believe they make a Buffie decoy). For diver blocks, though, you just can't beat the Herters foamers. They can handle a lot of abuse. Plastics just don't take pellet holes well for some reason.....:evilsmile

·
Registered
552 Posts
The oversized look really nice.

you can also contact Jeff @ Webbedconnections. (google it) He has an internet store, but he also has a place right in Livonia and he's usually a bit cheaper than Macks or Cabelas.

and you'd be buying local!

Good point Branta! I've used webbedconnection before, and they do have very good pricing! I've purchased decoys through their ebay store a few times...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
E Allen decoys makes a couple of different pose Buffleheads. You can also paint up a goldeneye and their magnum goldeneye if you want a 24" Buff-zilla.

They ride great anf won't dissolve if you get gas on them like Herters.

Ken

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lumber J, that's a thing of beauty. I was going to chime in and mention that my buffies are made from an old fallen telephone pole. I've had bufflehead land specifically right with them, even had some hens come in and fall asleep.

Mine don't look anything like that, very nice.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Lumber J, that's a thing of beauty. I was going to chime in and mention that my buffies are made from an old fallen telephone pole. I've had bufflehead land specifically right with them, even had some hens come in and fall asleep.

Mine don't look anything like that, very nice.
Thanks for the compliment. It was the first one I've made. I have my own critiques about it, but all-in-all I'm still plenty pleased with how it came out. I have two more that are ready for paint tonight and they are carved significantly better. I'll post them up as soon as they're dry.
have any pics of your home-made rig?

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Lumber, you'll be your own worst critic throughout.

gimme an ajax bottle ... I'll kill divers

gimme a sled full of seaweed and I can kill Black Ducks

some garbage bags and I'll kill a goose...

but I don't have an ounce of talent when it comes to taking a piece of wood, foam or cork and knocking out a working deke.

think Redlin didn't start out with stick figures and yellow circles for suns?!

you're only going to get better and better. Keep it up! Must be quite a high to be gunning over dekes you made yourself. nice job.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Lumber, you'll be your own worst critic throughout.

gimme an ajax bottle ... I'll kill divers

gimme a sled full of seaweed and I can kill Black Ducks

some garbage bags and I'll kill a goose...

but I don't have an ounce of talent when it comes to taking a piece of wood, foam or cork and knocking out a working deke.

think Redlin didn't start out with stick figures and yellow circles for suns?!

you're only going to get better and better. Keep it up! Must be quite a high to be gunning over dekes you made yourself. nice job.
whats the ajax for? Macgyver

1 - 20 of 24 Posts