Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I closed up my place on Kellys Island this weekend. Yesterday I was out on the lake trying (but not succeeding) to catch some perch. The thing that really got me was the pea soup I was trying to catch fish in. The algae is horrible. Visibility was aboout 1 1/2 feet. The lake had long lines of foam and it stank. It very much reminded me of the '60s when the lake almost died. This is an environmental catastrophe of the first magnitude. Guys WE ARE ON THE VERGE OF LOSING THIS RESOURCE!

Yet, we hear very little about it........oh, it is due to farm runoff, overusing fertilizers to keep our lawns and golf courses nice. So why can't we do something about it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The area definitely needs better, bigger, and more water treatment facilities, but where will the money come from to pay for them? Every time it rains hard, Detroit mixes storm water with sewage and the whole thing overflows into the river, flowing to the lake. Fertilizer use/runoff is growing (just check NYSE for the chemical companies) and no sign of any slowdown. We need elected representatives who do more than pay lip service to the issues, and spend less time figuring a way to profit from the sale and diversion of Great Lakes water. Just my 2 cents.:rant:

I've been perching only 3 times this year and caught a grand total of...24. The reports on this site are discouraging, the algae is as thick as astroturf in places, and if that's not bad enough, the deer are all looking up for hunters now. I'm mad as hell and I don't wanna take it anymore!!

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I haven't looked lately, but earlier in the year, it sure seemed that a awefull lot of the green stuff started around the Thames River mouth. I think the Canadian farmers have something do do with the problem as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was out there for the first time in a while (had knee surgery in July) and I couldn't believe how bad the water looked! Like pea soup. I was along the Michigan/Ohio border. From what I've read, it sounds like agricultural runoff (non source point) from the Sandusky and Maumee Rivers is a major culprit. The Lake Erie Discussion Board has some links if you are interested in learning more.

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/index.php (Lake Erie Hot Topics)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts