Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of a July or August tarpon fishing trip with my son next year. Question is, what is the best part of Florida for this? The three target areas I am looking at are south Atlantic (Miami area), south Gulf (Ft. Myers) or the panhandle.

If anyone has fished tarpon in Florida before, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I haven't fished for Tarpon yet but a good friend of mine lives in the Miami area and has contacts down there. I won't be able to get ahold of him until I get back to work on Wednesday.

I'll give him a call and get back to you with some info and charters that he's had success with.

My wife really wants to go Tarpon fishing as well. I need to organize a trip soon.

I'll be in touch.

Chris

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
You will see by my profile, I actually live just outside Ft. Myers. Having said that, the single best place is Boca Grande Pass, which is just north of Sanibel, and can be reached from Punta Gorda, or Pt. Charlotte. If you fish there, you will have plenty of company, not only with fish, but with boats, its like a parking lot at that time. If you choose to fish there, but prepared to let the fish run, assuming you hook one, as the sharks will try to eat em, before you get it in the boat. I'm talking Bull Sharks, and Hammerheads, both are nothing to fool with.

You could also fish off Sanibel Island, Cayo Costa (Boca Grande is on the north end of Cayo Costa), or anywhere along through there. These fish are migratory, and will pass through those areas all through July and August, either coming north or heading south. Your chances of hooking a tarpon of 150# or greater are pretty good, so have some stout equipment, you'll need it. You might want to hit the gym for awhile before you go, as you'll need the extra muscle, it ain't like reeling in a blue gill, I can tell ya that.

I just though of one more place that has more tarpon than most people supposse, and thats the Caloosahatchee River, which runs right through Ft. Myers. Trolling the river with big plugs works at times, and these fish can get pretty big as well. If you want to use some sort of bait, try to catch some catfish, and use the heads, for some reason the tarpon love em. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Anywhere along the bottom half, from Daytona all the way around to St. Petersburg is GREAT for tarpon. On a boat, some of the best places IMO are the Keys and like toto said, Boca Grande. There are more tarpon in the Keys, but they're a bit smaller (60-90 lbs) because they are residents. If you're looking for a great land-based spot to catch tarpon, try Redington Pier in Clearwater. I know some shore hotspots in the Keys that I can get 3 tarpon on 3 casts. If you want to know where those are, send me a PM. I'll let you in on the bait/tackle needed too.

Livies are your best bet for poons. However, if I'm in a boat, I'll flyfish.

·
Registered
10,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. We definitely will fish with a guide. Sounds like the southern part of the state is the way to go.

Rupe, I'm interested to know what your contact says about tarpon in the Miami area. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
kroppe,

I haven't forgot. I called Danny on wednesday as promised. I got his voicemail and left a message. He may have been out of town this week.

I'll try him again Monday and let you know what he comes back with. Sorry about the delay.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts