Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up untill a week ago, I had deer (Buck's & Does) hammering my bait sites. Now nothing but coon's, Bird's, and bushy tail's. Whats up? This is my first year back in Mi.. Am I missing something?:dizzy:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Happens at this time of year often.. October Lull, actually, deer tend to change their habits, feeding patterns and food sources change, bucks disperse and break up from bachelor groups, daylight is shrinking (it is now dark when you would start seeing deer movement a few weeks ago), lots of pressure in the woods, etc...

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
I assume you have cams out?... we went to KY two OCT ago hit the lull perfect tons of night pics no day pics I did manage to kill a good 8pt with my bow on the fourth day with 10 min of shooting light left..

I would keep the bait out and keep an eye on the cams, but only check them once a week or so..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Happens at this time of year often.. October Lull, actually, deer tend to change their habits, feeding patterns and food sources change, bucks disperse and break up from bachelor groups, daylight is shrinking (it is now dark when you would start seeing deer movement a few weeks ago), lots of pressure in the woods, etc...
:yeahthat:

I agree 100 %....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Good chance you have a local deer hoarder in your area. Most my neighbors say not many deer this yr. I haven't been hunting yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What deer? National Forest around here are not up to capacity. Lots of things could be reason. Lack of acorns,yotes,winter kill, doe permits,and bug out of the mud. If you love to hunt it's there, just not much finding. Don't give up! Gibby:) got over 70,000 acre's starting right across the road to roam in. Just love it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
That said, it is a different pattern. They are no longer hanging around my White Oak trees all day the acorns are gone as is most the browse (dying or eaten), but instead I'm seeing them get up late afternnoon and move off the property to nearby corn and soybean fields, and see them come back in the morning to bed. So I'm now only seeing them on their way in and out. This is typical every year for me. From what I understand Buck movement is consistently picking up from 1 OCT thru the rut, there is no lull perse but a change in available food and the travel to and from that location.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
They all went to my spot.
I seen over 15 of the buggers on state land the other night while doing some window scouting from the truck. All headed for the oaks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not a huge believer in the October lull but deer sightings tend to go down this time of year. I my deer sightings drop by 50% while shining now as compared to August and September. I believe that in my area they just camp out in the oaks....

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Heres a better pic

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I have always been a corn guy never liked using tatters, beets or carrots

we use this type of feeder , tall enough to keep the hogs out and set in concrete so they won't knock it over..

Attachments

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Up untill a week ago, I had deer (Buck's & Does) hammering my bait sites. Now nothing but coon's, Bird's, and bushy tail's. Whats up? This is my first year back in Mi.. Am I missing something?:dizzy:

Yes.

You're missing deer hunting without a bait pile. An entirely different sport.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts