Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, It's time to draw on the vast experience of the members of this website.

Over the past couple weeks I've been fishing the same spot on a local lake for panfish (blue gills and crappie). I usually set up around 5pm and fish until 8pm. I start marking and catching fish at 5:30 (sunset) and keep doing so until 7pm. After that I don't mark any fish or get any bites.

The lake conditions are 400 acres, lots of weeds and the water is pretty clear. I'm fishing in 8 FOW with some weeds that are spread out but reach halfway to the surface. Maybe one for every three foot square of bottom. The weeds get a lot thicker toward shore with a depth of 3 or 4 feet. There are no clear cut boundries for the weeds...a good edge etc.

I'm wondering where the fish are going since I don't mark any after 7pm...so I know they just don't have lockjaw. I was thinking I could stll catch crappie after 7pm since I've done it before on other clear water lakes.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine, they may go tighter to shore or they may suspend over some deeper water. Are the weeds still green??? If they are I would try right in the thick weeds. I've had luck all night long in the shallows provided the weeds are relatively green still. Try to find a pothole in the weeds...Good luck to you and let me know if this helps:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
A lake I fish sounds like what you're describing . When the early bite dies I head straight out from the spot into deeper water & can usually get a few more to bite suspended at the same depth they were at in the weeds . Good Luck

·
Registered
822 Posts
My bet is suspended over deeper water. I have been getting them after dark, in 20-35 feet of water never on bottom, always suspended. Must be were the food is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts