Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they are very prevalent in the summer but I have yet to see any smallies or rock bass in the winter in Higgins Lake or even hear of anyone catching any in the winter. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would guess they become very slow almost dormant. never heard anybody ever catching a bunch of redeyes(except at Smeltville but thats another story!!)and very few by-catches on the smallies.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
While you can't and really shouldn't target bass in the winter you can generally find them hanging out in the same weed beds they frequent in the summer. I caught a 5lb largie this weekend on a tipup targetting pike with a large grey shiner.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I tear the big rockbass up all winter long on Crystal Lake [montcalm]. Last light deep water with perch minnows. 12 to 16 inch fish

·
Registered
271 Posts
while trying out an underwater camera a few years ago i was looking for a sunken cabin cruiser on the west side. found the boat and diving bell along with so many rock bass you could not count them. might be a good place to try for them. b.b.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Banditto, why shouldn't we target smallies in the winter? I don't live in your neck of the woods so I was wondering on your views.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
bhorn said:
Banditto, why shouldn't we target smallies in the winter? I don't live in your neck of the woods so I was wondering on your views.
Season's closed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no interest in targetting the smallies ..... I was just curious where they went to in the winter. Besides, they taste like a$$.

Barnacle Bill, you couldn't possibly send me GPS points could you ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know where they go but if I had to guess it would be the deepest parts of the lake. In northern Wisconsin there is a short window that the season is still open in the winter. Here is a pic from last year. She was 20in.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
But you gotta think that the deepest water is the most oxygen deprived... where we fish there are 100ft holes and not much comes out of them except walleye. I would expect the bass to do the same as most fish and bury themselves in weeds in 5-10ft of water.

Bass do eat in the winter as I catch 2-3 every winter by accident. One notable one was 2 years ago a barely hooked 6lbs rushed the hole and ended up flying up into my open jacket unhooked. So here I am kinda stunned with a beautiful largie sitting on my lap.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know where you get your info from but all freshwater fish that I'm know of eat year around. They have to eat or they will starve. They don't eat as much but they eat. As far as deep, if the lake is 35 feet than there probably 20-35 ft. Every lake is different.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Relentless said:
I have no interest in targetting the smallies ..... I was just curious where they went to in the winter. Besides, they taste like a$$.

Barnacle Bill, you couldn't possibly send me GPS points could you ;)
YUCK @ TASTE LIKE A$$ :yikes:

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Who in their right mind would eat a..."""SMALLIE"""..or a...."""REDEYE""""....PTOOEY..YUCK...EECHH...;)

·
Registered
967 Posts
remember you can't target those smallies
How would you even begin to "target" smallmouth through the ice that wouldn't be "targeting" open species??

Come on, nobody's gonna be flippin' tubes around! Carolina Rig soft plastics?

I can see it happening after the ice melts, but come on!

Bass in the winter are accidental...live bait or jigs will get anything that swims....you just let the bass go.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I don't know where you get your info from but all freshwater fish that I'm know of eat year around
who are you saying or asking this to? Maybe you should go re-read all the posts again as nobody said anything like that at all???

·
Registered
151 Posts
There was another post in there. It must have been removed. They made a statement that smallies don`t feed in the winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts